Random thoughts

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, as is traditional, I plan to celebrate this Valentine's Day by posting about death, torture, and werewolves. What do you mean, that's not traditional? Okay, then I'm just going to talk about this week's TV.

I thought Sunday's episode of The Dresden Files was the best one so far. That's possibly because it was loosely based on the second book in the series, Fool Moon... or possibly because there was a guest star that we (the audience, for which I use myself and Becky as representative of) and Harry connected with, and villains that were sincere about their evildoing. Anyway, I think I was right that, given the chance to develop, this will be a good show. Each episode has gotten progressively better, and hey - even Buffy kind of sucked in season 1. It did kind of squick me out though, that the werewolf girl (Heather? was that her name?) reminded me of the girl who played Paul Blackthorne's daughter on 24... and here she is kissing him on this show. But I liked her character, and I wonder if they drew on Harry's girlfriend from the books for her (his girlfriend, Susan, gets turned into a vampire and has to leave in order to get her bloodlust under control). I thought they'd cast an actual Susan character, but who knows, maybe Wolf Girl will be back.

I also watched my tape of 24 - yay for two-hour specials. Here's my notes, jotted down while I was watching:

  • Hey, who knew Blondie had a little psycho chick in her?
  • I think Mr. Ally McBeal is having a little nutty. Why can’t he write his own letter of resignation, like a real man? And Chad Lowe is evil, apparently. It troubles me how much he looks like his brother, because I keep seeing shades of Sam Seaborn and Sam is not evil. And, um, immediate removal of the President so the Veep can take office? Either they’re going to kill him or they’re going to invoke the 25th Amendment… both of which have been attempted on President (David) Palmer – President Buffy’s BROTHER! Don’t you think he's gonna catch on when they do the same thing to him?
  • It seems like Assad got to DC awfully quickly. How long was that cross-country flight? Two hours? I want that jet.
  • “People are leaving the building. If there really is a fire, what do we do?” Dumbest. Terrorist. Ever.
  • I was really kind of disappointed that Morris caved… I mean, not that I’d be able to withstand someone drilling into my shoulder, but he’s a CTU agent, and he knew they were coming for him, so why didn’t he just fiddle with it and stall a little longer? But then in the second hour, he kinda won me back with the guilt… when Chloe went to kiss him and he turned away? Aww.
  • “CTU, this is Bauer, we got a problem.” Well, that was mighty calm of you, Jack. I liked that the bomb had those little plates instead of the traditional ticking clock… I imagine that it would have been too complicated to synch the bomb clock with the show clock, but it was nice to have the sense of tension without the cheesy “Jack stops the bomb with two seconds left” thing.
  • Aww… that was a nice moment when Jack paused, the first time he went back to CTU. And another aww moment when Jack accepted responsibility for killing his brother, and wouldn’t let Bill cover it up. Made even sadder by the fact that he didn’t actually kill him, of course, but how heart-breaking when he was all “I wanted to”?
  • Why would they let Farmer Bauer rifle through Bluetooth Bauer’s stuff? Isn’t that considered evidence? That, you know, shouldn’t get tampered with?
  • Niiiiice driving, Milo. But kinda clever with blowing up the CTU truck. I think he learned that from Jack in season 1.
Also, VM last night? Awesome. One of my favorites in a long time. Dick was hilarious - when he locked Logan on the balcony so the room service people could have their trays back! And "I hate to use this card but... shuffle shuffle." And that little girl was TOO cute. Logan really needs to get off his ass - becoming a slovenly couch potato is NOT going to win Veronica back, young man! I'm still on the fence about him - last week I was saying I didn't think I could forgive him for sleeping with Madison, and he went a little way towards thawing my heart, but I'm still not sure.

I was just talking to Kelly about how I missed Wallace and Cliff and Lamb - and lo and behold, there they all were! Although the whole five seconds of Wallace was disappointing. But a teehee to Keith's "Don't worry, the sheriff has a long and proud history of being wrong." I'm curious what was up with the Dean's murder case - the car leaving the hotel puts a bit of a wrench in my Evil TA Tim theory. But based on the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang litmus test, Mrs. O'Dell is the more likely suspect. Maybe she left the hotel to talk to him (because they had that fight) but either chickened out and came back without talking to him, or talked to him and left before he died. I still cling to TA Tim, if only because the show's made him seem NOT like a suspect.

And, um, Veronica getting arrested at the end there? Whoa... followed by a "huh?"

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At February 22, 2007 at 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then we got MORE Wallace and Cliff and Lamb AND Vinnie this week!! But wait. If you havent seen it...SPOILER! omg Lamb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home