Random thoughts

Monday, February 05, 2007

Purple Rain

Getting ready for a new hour of 24, thought I'd post a little bit about last night's Super Bowl. Anyone else watch? I went to a party with most of my parents crazy friends. The only other kids my age were Brian and Shawn, but that's okay. It was fun, and also hilarious to watch as the Bears crushed Uncle Oz's dreams of winning the quarters when they fumbled, recovered a fumble, and then fumbled again within thirty seconds in the second quarter. I find it mildly unfair that Uncle Bob bet $7 and managed to win $90 - even though he left at halftime! Brian was the money man, and he was willing to split the winnings with me, as long as no one told Uncle Bob, but there were too many witnesses we'd have had to pay off in order to get away with it. So no money for me. :-(

I thought the pre-game show was, well, bizarre. First of all, I object to Cirque du Soleil on principle (no one should be that flexible), and they really don't seem like the entertainment of choice for football fans. I mean, those butterflies? Not exactly screaming masculinity there... But didn't those colors look nice in HD?

As opposed to the rest of the game, where the torrential downpour obscured most of the cameras to the point that it reminded us of those commercials where the one football player is blurry, and the other guy says, "You know we're supposed to be in HD now, right?" Uncle Mort was all, "I want my money back!" But the rain did make the first half very interesting, with all the fumbles and recoveries (unless, of course, you were Uncle Oz, in which case the game was a real emotional rollercoaster).

And then we're back to the screaming masculinity (or lack thereof) with the halftime show. Again, I question whether the people who plan the pre-game and halftime shows actually consider entertainment football fans would watch. I have to admit, it was kinda fun when Prince sang Purple Rain in the rain. When he started, my mom was like, "Do you think he'll sing Purple Rain?" Ha.

So, the second half wasn't as exciting as the first - I mean, kickoff return for a touchdown on the first play of the game by the team no one picked to win? That was kind of cool. But then the Colts sort of ran away with it and the fourth quarter was a bit of a snooze.

The commercials also were kind of a snooze. I miss the old days, with the OMG hilarious commercials, that everyone was talking about the next day. There just aren't any that awesome anymore. I did like the CareerBuilder.com office survivor ones, and the Blockbuster mouse and the FedEx moon office were good... but the Chevy commercials were sucky, bordering on eww (I mean, if you're gonna have shirtless guys, can they at least be hot shirtless guys?) and what the hell was that Sheryl Crow thing about? CBS has all of the commercials posted here, if you want to see what you missed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 7, 2007 at 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i didn't even really watch the superbowl for the commercials this year. i'm sad that i missed the halftime show, i thought prince would sing something new....does he ever do anything new? anyway, i saw the robert goulet commercial, and thought that was funny. and i watched them all online, i did like the first office survivor one. and the beard combover for sierra mist was funny, i love jim gaffigan. i see what you mean about the shirtless guys. yikes. and i didn't quite get the sheryl crow one either.

also, your uncles have funny names

 

Post a Comment

<< Home