Random thoughts

Monday, January 29, 2007

Disappointing

Did anyone watch Amber Benson's Gryphon on Saturday? Ouch. I tried, but it was so awful that I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes. From what I saw, Amber was good... but the plot just seemed so dumb, and the dialogue was awful, and the CGI effects were just laughable. Poor Amber.

I did watch all of The Dresden Files last night. I thought the second episode was a little bit better than the first - I liked that Murphy was a bigger part of the story, although the possessed cop thing kind of reminded me of something they did with Kate on Angel. (In fact, Murphy in general reminds me of Kate, she did even more so in the books where she was blonde.) I still want Harry to use more magic - he's a wizard, that's the whole point of the show!

I think what bothers me is that the show's pace is kind of slow... it's like Buffy without the action sequences, which leaves just the Giles expositiony scenes. Bleh. The thing I loved about the book was that it was so fast-paced. I mean, we start right in with a grisly double murder, and then bam! Harry's pulling all-nighters, summoning faeries, tangling with vampires, and getting whacked by mobsters with baseball bats, all while trying to prove to the police and the White Council that he's not the killer, even as more dead people are turning up with connections to him. Not a chapter went by where Harry wasn't threatened, beat up, kidnapped, arrested, or knocked unconscious by something. Now, while this episode featured a nice drive-by shooting, it still didn't pick up the pace enough to make the series compelling. I'm not asking for it to be 24 or anything (which is on in about 5 minutes, by the way), but still... twists and turns, people. Intrigue. This is a detective show, with magic. It can't be hard to make that interesting. Also, it should be funnier. Especially Bob.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 30, 2007 at 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so dont support Amber Bensen then? at least not in this case

 

Post a Comment

<< Home