Random thoughts

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tales of an Apartment Hunter

I was in Harrisburg this weekend to look at apartments. I'd say I was fairly successful, I found at least two potential places that I'm now trying to decide between. Both are walking distance from the Capitol, though one is more roll-out-of-bed-and-you're-at-your-desk while the other is a nice walk. The roll-out-of-bed one is a loft-style (bedroom and bathroom upstairs, living room and kitchen downstairs), in a VERY nice building (it's the renovated City Hall building, hence the name "Old City Hall") - also kind of expensive. I thought my future kitten might enjoy running up and down the stairs, though. On the other hand, I have no doors, so I wouldn't be able to lock the kitten up in my room if I needed to.

The other apartment is in a high-rise building (I'd be on the 10th floor, nice view), also a one-bedroom. It's smaller, a little bit cheaper, and has the bonus feature of a fitness center and pool. It feels slightly dorm-like, because I won't have a washer and dryer in the apartment (laundry room in the basement) but much nicer than any dorm I've ever lived in, lol. This place is also giving me $200 off my first month's rent because I work for the Governor. Sweet!

Both places have parking - but you have to pay $90/mo for it. I'm hoping to get either a parking space in my office garage (if I live in Old City Hall and am close enough to leave my car there all the time), or reimbursement for a space so I can park at my apartment (since I won't need to drive to work).

So, any suggestions on which option to take? My mother is definitely leaning towards the high-rise apartment. I'm still kind of ambivalent.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home