Random thoughts

Friday, August 14, 2009

*sneaks in quietly*

Maybe no one will notice I was gone. Eh?

Sorry for the lack of updates. Chelsea is fine, btw. She only took about a third of her medicine, though, so it's a good thing her bladder issue went away on its own. I am psyching myself up for another trip to the vet for the shots she was supposed to get the first time we went to the vet, but which had to be postponed until her bladder thing went away.

Work has been alternately crazy busy and very, very slow. Or, rather, it was crazy busy right up until Tuesday, when my boss left for vacation, and it's been party time ever since. :) I've been catching up on the Daily Show, since I'm now an 80-year-old woman and go to bed at 9:30. (Seriously, I did that one day this week.)

I had a fun-filled weekend last weekend, by certain definitions of the word "fun-filled." Friday was my mother's birthday, so I (the good daughter) called to wish her a happy birthday. While on the phone, my dad says, "Remember how we talked about coming to visit this weekend?"

Uh... no, actually.

"Well, we're coming."

Oh, goody.

But tough noogies, because I had plans for Friday night and I wasn't canceling. I still hadn't seen Becky since I moved, and she only lives SEVEN MILES away. Keep that number in mind. So, we decided I'd drive over to her apartment, and we'd order pizza and watch movies (The Usual Suspects and Dr. Horrible) and play with her new kitty. I Google-mapped, Becky corrected the Google map directions, and I brought along my trusty GPS.

Forty-five minutes and four U-turns later, I arrived at Becky's house. Forty-five minutes. To go seven miles.

I hate driving in this city.

We're not even going to discuss the drive home, which happened of course at 1am, when it was completely dark and I couldn't see street signs or my directions, not that it mattered, because I arrived there on one-way streets, so I had to go in several circles in order to find the way back, and the GPS was NO HELP, because it kept telling me to turn on streets I was ALREADY ON, and telling me to turn on streets that didn't exist and... okay, I guess we are going to discuss it.

Anyway, I got up early on Saturday to clean my apartment, in the futile hope that my mother would criticize it less, and then my parents arrived half an hour early, while I was in the shower. We spent the weekend putting up curtains, assembling my new headboard, hanging pictures on the wall, and shopping for a mat to go underneath Chelsea's litter box. Fun-filled, let me tell you. Then there was the whole thing with it being my mother's birthday, except of course I didn't know they were coming, so I wasn't prepared with, like, a cake or presents or anything, which I think was disappointing, but hello - advance notice, people!

So, this weekend, a friend of mine is coming to visit from New York, and next weekend, Megan and I are going home to see James Marsters!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, call me if you get lost. I'm usually up at 1 am anyway, coming home from a show or just finishing up.

 
At August 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Heh, I was close to calling Becky, and then I was like, "This is ridiculous! The neighborhood's not that big. How hard is it to find my way out of it??"

The problem was that the GPS was just perpetually five minutes behind, so I'd get to an intersection and not know which way to turn, and then once I'd passed the street, it would tell me what to do. Eventually, I just parked, waited for it to catch up, and then followed the directions.

 
At August 18, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Anonymous megan said...

my gps does not like philly. one time i was there, it told me to turn down a street that said "do not enter". then the latest time i was there (stalking seth green), it told me to make a U turn on a ramp! what the heck? eventually i found 95 and got out of there.

also, yay for james marsters! most people think i'm crazy. but i have one buffy fan friend who thinks i'm not so crazy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home