Random thoughts

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

TV news... stuff

I am uncreative with my title today. Dumb cat woke me up too early. Also, I had weird dreams.

Anyway, let's start with 24. Chloe O'Brian will be stepping out for a few hours, due to her real-life baby being born during production. But don't worry, her ex-husband/baby daddy (on the show, people! Not her real baby. Don't go starting rumors now) Morris will be taking over. I don't mind. I like Morris.

In other casting news, Street and Smash won't be around on Friday Night Lights next year. It makes sense, considering they've both graduated and it was a little silly having Street hanging around all last year. They should've either made him an assistant coach or just written him off completely. At least they'll appear long enough to give their characters a send-off. And I like that FNL is being realistic and not keeping them in high school forever, just so they won't have to deal with cast changes. I thought Lyla and Tyra should have graduated by now, too, as should Riggins, although the prospect of Riggins failing and having to repeat a grade would not exactly strain credulity. I am curious what they'll do next year, since Matt, Landry, and Julie are all seniors now, meaning that none of the original cast will still be in high school if there's a season 4 (except possibly Riggins, lol, who will be a sixth-year senior). I'm hoping they'll introduce some new younger players this year... otherwise, it'll feel like the show's setting itself up for cancellation after season 3.

If you're interested in a sneak peak at some new shows, here are reviews for Rob Thomas' Cupid remake, as well as Christian Kane's new series, Leverage. I'm excited for both of them!

And now it's time for the interactive portion of today's post. Last summer, I watched a ton of TV on DVD, introducing myself to a lot of new shows that have become must-see TV, including Friday Night Lights, Heroes, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, and Psych. This year, I'm asking for your input. I've got a ton of shows in my queue... which ones should I watch?

Here's the list:
  • My Boys
  • Entourage
  • Arrested Development
  • Rescue Me
  • Weeds
  • Dead Like Me
  • 30 Rock
  • Ugly Betty

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most definitely arrested development. and if you like absurd comedy, there's also "it's always sunny in philadelphia". i need to get both of those on dvd. 30 rock is kind of, eh. sometimes it's funny. i tried watching "my boys" because jim gaffigan is in it (check out his "beyond the pale" stand up- i laugh so hard i cry over the hot pockets jokes), but i always forget when it's on, so i've only seen one episode. so i dunno if it's any good.
and i have no idea about the other shows. meghan watches ugly betty, but it's kind of like a soap opera.

 
At July 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I've seen a couple eps of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." I liked it, but I think the absurdity is something I can only take in small doses. :)

 
At July 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrested Development is a must. Rescue Me and Entourage are good for the first three seasons. Still probably worth a look though. Dead Like Me is pretty interesting. It's from the creator of Pushing Daisies, which is another must.

And I STILL think you need to check out Lost. Amazing storytelling. The best show on TV.

 
At July 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll probably check out Lost once I've covered everything else on the list. I tend to get turned off a series when I see a random episode and I don't like it. Lost is probably the worst show to see a random episode, since there's a 99% guarantee you'll have no idea what's going on, but if it was intriguing enough, I'd probably have wanted to watch from the beginning.

Also, I watched Pushing Daisies last season, and wasn't terribly impressed with it. I might tune in this year, but if there's a conflict or my schedule is too busy, I won't be sorry to see it go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home