Random thoughts

Monday, July 07, 2008

There IS such a thing as a free lunch...

As long as you don't mind waiting for it.

Like I said in my last post, I went to lunch with Andrew, and we went to Cafe Fresco, which is usually good and reliable. Except today, when they apparently forgot about us. It's the kind of place where you order your food and they give you a number and you go sit down and they bring the food out when it's ready. Well, Andrew and I had been sitting there for at least 45 minutes, and still no food. Finally, I went up and asked and they said, "Oh, we couldn't find you." I'm like... uh, the number's on the table. We've been sitting there the whole time...

So, they made our food again and apologized and gave us a refund, so other than taking 15 minutes longer for my lunch than I was supposed to, I got a free lunch today. Andrew suggested that next time, we hide the number and see if we can get free food again, but I think they might catch on.

Anyway, where was I before I left? Right, Sunday. So, every year, Harrisburg has this big music fest down by the river. I'm pretty sure I went for a little bit last year, although I don't actually remember any of it. This year, they had a Beatles tribute band (the stars of Beatlemania, which is apparently a Broadway show or a movie or both), so Jade and I were all over that. A bunch of people from the Obama campaign showed up, including the guy from Friday, but we didn't talk much.

The band was really good. Music-wise, they sounded just like the Beatles (their accents were a little iffy when they tried to talk, though). They had the wigs and the suits and the Sgt. Pepper costumes and everything (they went backstage and changed partway through). They even had the teenage girls dancing and cheering right at the stage. I was skeptical those girls had ever even heard of the Beatles. I think their parents made them come. It's all outside in the park, so we just sat on the grass, and we were right up front, so we had a great view.

Jade was determined to get a souvenir, so afterwards, she ran over and asked Ringo for a drumstick, which he gave to her. She got all four of them to sign it, too. And then Ringo gave me his ring, and Jade was jealous because she had to work for her souvenir, and I was just standing there, and he's all, "You can have my ring!" because Jade had the drumstick, and this other girl we met got a guitar pick, and I guess he thought I should get something, too.

I was shocked at how old John and Paul looked without the wigs on. Seriously, I think they're as old as the real Paul McCartney. They looked so much better on stage. George, on the other hand, was only 25, and was totally getting laid by the guitar pick girl. Jade thought he was hot, but I thought he kinda looked like Mandy Patinkin in The Princess Bride (same hair... no idea how he fit it all under the wig).

Then, Jade and I went to dinner, and by then it was fireworks time again, but I'd seen enough fireworks already, so we said screw it and didn't watch. And thus ends my 4th of July weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At July 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like you od'ed on fireworks. i only saw them last weekend in maple shade. we were hoping to see them in salisbury on the 4th, but there was a huge thunderstorm instead. joe did set off some bottle rockets off the porch though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home