Random thoughts

Monday, July 21, 2008

Dude, you're not my nemesis.

I think Dr. Horrible has enough quotes to supply me with post titles for a year.

Anyway, Joss just did an online Q&A at the Washington Post, so go check out what he has to say. I'm particularly interested in his perspective regarding the lack of a strong female lead and his tendency to kill off lovable characters, since those are the two biggest criticisms I've seen of Act III. I think the first, obviously, stems from his self-proclaimed feminism - but I'm kind of left scratching my head and thinking, "When did Joss ever say that Dr. Horrible was meant to be a feminist work?" Just because he made a show about girl power and likes to write strong female characters doesn't mean that everything he does is going to be part of a feminist agenda. Some things are just for fun. (Also, it's a 45 minute web musical. How much character development do you really expect for a secondary character?)

Er, okay, you might want to stop reading now if you don't want to know how it ends...

I'm also intrigued by his answer to the second question. I like that he acknowledges that most of his character deaths are pointless, and I agree with him that this one was different. In order for Dr. Horrible to fully become his evil persona, he needed to lose everything that was important to him. He needed to lose Penny. I've seen some suggest that his evil deeds could've repulsed her and he'd lose her that way, but then it becomes a different story. Because she's still alive for him to pursue. He can choose to give up his evil ways for the love of the girl and ultimately be redeemed (and, uh, Joss has already done that plot. Twice). But that's not the story being told. Dr. Horrible has no choice. He wanted something, and in the process of getting it, sacrificed what he really wanted. It doesn't work if there's a chance he can get her back.

It's a dark ending, but it's kind of brilliant in terms of Dr. Horrible's character arc - and knowing how it ends, I went back and watched the whole thing straight through, and it's a downward spiral that starts as early as the opening of Act II.

Anyway, moving on. Spoiler phobes can start reading again...

Battlestar Galactica news! Here's a report from the TCA panel on "Caprica." I'll admit, it doesn't really sound like it will resemble BSG in feel, but it still sounds pretty cool. Also, Grace Park drops some hints about what's coming up in the last half-season (and also kills a spider during the interview), while Jamie Bamber will be starring in Law & Order: UK. On the one hand, I cringe at the idea of that franchise expanding any more, but on the other hand, I'm kind of curious to see how different it is, given that it's based on the British legal system rather than the US. Plus, it's always good to see actors I like being employed.

And finally, the Friday Night Lights panel report, also from TCA. I'm curious to see how it all works out if they really air different versions on DirecTV and NBC. I will more than likely be downloading illegally, regardless of what Katims says.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home