Random thoughts

Friday, June 06, 2008

Is that English?

Some people find any law to be tedious and difficult to decipher, but dealing with legislation all the time, I don't really have a problem with it. But today I had to work with an act from 1799 and I was like, "WTF language is this?"

I quoth:
"And be it further enacted by the authority aforesaid, That there be erected, and hereby is erected and established, in the town of York, in the county of York, a county school or academy, for the education of youth in the learned and foreign languages, the useful arts, sciences and literature, the style, name and title of which said school or academy, and the constitution thereof, shall be, and are hereby declared to be, as is hereinafter mentioned and defined..."
And to that I say "huh?"

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's not so bad... I kinda understand it... sorta...

 
At June 7, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It basically says:

"By the power vested in this governing body, let a school be erected in the town and county of York for higher education. The name and constitution of the academy are defined as follows..."

But I'm pretty sure you knew that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home