Random thoughts

Friday, June 06, 2008

No, for real this time

Word on the street is that Clinton will be officially bowing out tomorrow at noon. She met with Obama in D.C. last night, and is starting to squish talk of accepting the V.P. spot. Honestly, I think that's a good idea. Blah blah blah dream ticket and all that, but really - I don't think they work well together.

First of all, despite having very similar platforms, their messages in the primary were totally different, and I don't think Hillary fits well with Obama's "hope and change" pitch that's earned him so much popularity. Plus, as others have mentioned, it will look like Obama surrendered. He got strong-armed into accepting Hillary whether he wanted to or not. And if he can't even take on the Clintons with a clear victory, how can he ever take on the Republicans, let alone foreign heads of state? It makes him look weak. There are plenty of other candidates out there who are strong in the same areas as Clinton, and if he picks a Clinton supporter (Wesley Clark, for example), I think he'll win over most, if not all, of the Hillary vote.

I also think that putting Hillary in the #2 spot is just asking for animosity - you're going to have an ambitious V.P. who's not going to just roll over and do whatever the White House tells her to. Not to mention you'll have Bill in there as a... whatever he is. He may not have power, but he has influence, and I can't see him taking orders, either. If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch the first couple seasons of The West Wing, and the conflict between President Bartlet and V.P. Hoynes, and you'll see what I mean. You need a good relationship with your V.P. otherwise you'll find the rug yanked out from under you.

I think Hillary has done well in the Senate, and I think she should continue on there. People are throwing around other positions - Cabinet, maybe, or this article in which a delusional NY representative thinks Obama should nominate her for the Supreme Court (what kind of crack are you on, honey?) - and that's okay, too, but I think she flourishes in the Senate.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home