Random thoughts

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fall Premieres, part 3

Finally! Something worth watching!! I think Reaper is my favorite new show so far. But let's go in order.

I watched the Bones season premiere, even though I'm not caught up on the season 2 DVDs. I saw enough episodes when they aired on TV that I knew what was going on (and I saw the season 2 finale already, so it's not like I'm going to spoil anything). Good episode, and it seems like this cannibalistic serial killer is going to be an on-going thing, which is cool... except that they already did cannibalism in season 1, so it didn't quite pack the same punch as it would have if they hadn't done that earlier ep. I'm not too in love with the "finding Angela's husband" plot... it seems a little silly for this show, but then again, maybe they need some levity.

I feel like they're forcing the tension between Booth and Brennan. I can understand how Booth arresting her father might be awkward, but why are they making a big deal about the wedding thing? I was right there with Brennan when she had no idea what Angela was talking about. Yeah, okay, symbolism and all that... but really, Booth and Brennan aren't anywhere near the stage in their relationship where marriage would be a pressure (since they're not even, you know, actually dating...), so I don't get why it would make her uncomfortable. I was very glad to see that most of Brennan's weirdness went away as soon as Zack came back. Speaking of that awkward little dude, I love that they sent him home from Iraq because of his social skills. That's so... Zack.

Now, onto the new stuff. Reaper was excellent. It's a bit silly, yes, but I laughed out loud more than a couple times. Okay, every time the friend (was his name really Socky, or did I hear that wrong?) threw something at Sam's head, I laughed. I'm easily amused. But the dialogue was pretty funny ("Is this a carjacking?" "For this? If it was an Escalade, maybe..."), and there were some clever moments (like how they're wearing SMOKE DETECTORS strapped to them to fight the fire-demon-thingy... I totally cracked up when it started beeping). It's got a good mix of comedy and supernatural and satire. The Buffy comparisons will be made, of course, but I think it might actually be warranted.

Sidebar: Someone please reassure me I'm not going crazy. While I was watching Reaper, I saw a commercial for Smallville, and I SWEAR it had the music from the Buffy series finale. You know, the battle in the Hellmouth music. The commercial just had Supergirl, and I only saw it once, but I'm convinced that's what I heard.

Okay, last show of the night was Cane. It was good, but possibly not my style. It's a family drama, and after one episode, I'm not sure if I'm interested in the dramas of this family. But I'll definitely give it another shot (although the time conflict with Damages is annoying). The cast is great, and there's a few fun familiar faces (Meg from Veronica Mars!). I totally kept getting thrown, though, hearing Jimmy Smits talking about the President and Senators and stuff. I'm like, "But you ARE the President!" (I still live in denial. The West Wing lives on.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home