Random thoughts

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fall Premieres, part 2

I'm still in a DVD frenzy, trying to catch up on last season's shows before the new seasons begin. I'm miserably behind. I have, like, four whole seasons of television to watch. So, right off the bat, I'm telling you two shows I did not watch last night: How I Met Your Mother and Heroes. Don't worry, I taped them, and I'm sure I'll catch up eventually, but in the meantime, no talking!

So, here's what I did watch. First, Chuck, which is about a computer store nerd who somehow ends up with top-secret government files downloaded into his brain. (Don't even ask me how that happened. I have no idea.) The highlight of this show - for me, anyway - is that it stars Adam Baldwin (previously of Angel and Firefly). I wasn't overly impressed. (Sidebar: I think "not overly impressed" is going to be my catchphrase for the entire premiere period.) It was occasionally funny, but not particularly engaging. I sort of found myself getting lost in the plot holes you could drive a truck through. If a show is witty and/or compelling enough, the ridiculous parts don't bother me, but this one didn't quite manage it. I'll keep watching Chuck as long as I'm forced to tape HIMYM, but once I can watch HIMYM, I highly doubt that Chuck will be worth taping.

Next up, Journeyman. Guy travels back in time and changes events, somehow without screwing up the fabric of time (that's one of my pet peeves, btw). As Kelly can attest, I was pretty confused about what was going on for most of the episode... why is he going back in time? Obviously, to "fix" things, but who/what is sending him back to these specific times and places? How do his actions change the future without royally screwing things up? Shouldn't there be an effect - like, for example, the fact that he met his ex-girlfriend before he was supposed to. Wouldn't that change their relationship? Bottom line, this pilot left me with more questions than answers, and not necessarily in a good way. I'll give it a shot, but if it doesn't clear up a few things pretty quickly, I don't think I'll make it.

Tonight: The return of Bones (yay!), and the premieres of Reaper and Cane. Top of the DVD queue: Heroes and The Office.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home