Random thoughts

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Why I Don't Like "Heroes"

...even though I have never watched it.

I will admit, I do have a slight aversion to the uber-popular franchises, Harry Potter being top of the list, simply because everyone goes so friggin' nuts over them. I don't know why, but the more people gush about HP, the less I want to watch the movies or read the books. I much prefer the charm of a little-known show like Veronica Mars or Psych. The kind of show that feels like you just discovered something awesome, rather than just blindly following the mass of people into the movie theater.

That's how I feel about Heroes. I didn't watch it at first, because the idea of a whole bunch of superheroes doesn't interest me. But people said it was good, so I thought, "Maybe I should check it out." I didn't get around to it, though, and then the momentum started to build and I ran in the other direction. Every time I heard "save the cheerleader, save the world," it only strengthened my resolve to avoid it. The more people freaked out about the OMG!supercrazy cliffhanger endings, the less I wanted to watch.

I think it's the over-marketing that turns me off. It's tiresome. And Heroes' marketing has only gotten worse in the run-up to season 2. I mean, seriously, how many cast members can you possibly add? Every day, there's a new cast member. They really could be recognized as their own country. And then there's the merchandise. And the spin-off series. And the world tour. Seriously? A world tour? Is that really necessary?

And yet, even with all of that, I will be sucking it up and renting the season 1 DVD, so that I'll be all caught up for season 2. For one reason, and one reason only. Damn you, Kristen Bell.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At September 7, 2007 at 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend meghan watches heroes, and i was over one day when it was on. it wasn't very appealing to me.
and all the "save the cheerleader, save the world" advertising made me laugh. i'm not saving the world if it involves a cheerleader.

oh, i was watching some america's next top model re-runs (yeah, i know, it's a stupid show) and the prize for one week was a guest spot on veronica mars. the part was just a receptionist or something though.

 
At September 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like Heroes...I cant help it. And I dont care if a show is popular or not. I watch what I like! GO HEROES!!!!

 
At September 13, 2007 at 4:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know, I've never cared whether a show was popular or not, either. I've watched shows that swept the Emmys (The West Wing, 24), but I've also watched shows that struggled just to survive (Veronica Mars, The Dresden Files). It's not the popularity that bothers me - it's the hype. If a show is legitimately good, then it deserves to be popular. And maybe the lesser known shows like VM would've benefited from more hype, but media whoring just turns me off.

Like I said, I'm going to watch season 1, to see if it's as good as everyone thinks it is. If I like it, great, new show to watch. If not, I'll just say "I told you so." :)

Oh, and Megan - VM was on the same network as ANTM, which explains the crossover. I do remember a couple contestants guest starring, though I can't recall being particularly impressed by any of them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home