Random thoughts

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Nutter for Mayor

So, is anyone else as excited as I am that Michael Nutter won the Democratic primary for mayor of Philadelphia? (Probably not.) I've always liked him (well, since last November), but I never really expected him to win the nomination. But frontrunner status and campaign finance laws worked against Chaka Fattah, and gave Nutter an opening. As I said, I like him - and not just because he bought me beer. The reason he was buying me beer is because he was smart enough to spend time with politically active young people - which not a lot of politicians care about. Also, he's a reformer (which is why sticking to the campaign finance laws helped him instead of hurting, like Fattah), and Philly could use a non-corrupt politican.

By far, the best quotes from yesterday came from the Knox campaign:
Tom Knox: (on Nutter's victory) "Thank God it's not Bob Brady."
Linda Knox: (about her husband) "I'm going to bite him if he runs again."

Also, hilariously, the Knox campaign office got robbed on Election Day. Advising a campaign staffer how to handle money afterwards, Knox said, "Put most of the money in the trunk and cover it up and just put a little bit up front with you in case we get hit again."

In other political news, this is just hysterical.

Last night was the series finale of Gilmore Girls... I haven't been a fan as of late, but the nostalgia beckoned at the end there. I have to say, I was really happy with the episode. It didn't try any huge gestures *cough* wedding *cough* but was a good send-off of both Rory and the show, and the throwback to the pilot was a nice touch. Oh, and check out this interview with Scott Patterson.

My fingers are still crossed that Veronica Mars will be renewed, but I've heard so many rumors, I don't know what to think anymore. It was announced that Jericho wasn't renewed, and I find myself surprisingly disappointed. I kinda stopped watching it, but it's on demand, so I've been catching up lately, and the episodes did get marginally better at the end there. Well, mostly it was just Jake and Hawkins being awesome and everyone else being stupid (as always), but I'm mildly pissed they ended it on a cliffhanger. The last scene was... well, it was basically the end of Angel. You know, fighting against insurmountable odds, one of the main characters dies, and we fade to black as the rest of our heroes charge into battle incredibly outnumbered. TV shows should just stop ending on cliffhangers if there's a chance they might not come back... grrr.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you hear about this? when i was home last weekend, it was the big story on the news. funny. http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20070512_An_alligator_on_the_loose_-_in_Haddonfield.html

hopefully you can see the whole address

 
At May 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Haha... I hadn't heard about that. That's awesome. I want an alligator in my backyard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home