Random thoughts

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fare thee well, Veronica...

Last night was the season (now presumed to be series) finale of Veronica Mars. Although it didn't make it into the fall schedule announced by the CW last week, there was still hope that it might get picked up as a midseason replacement, despite the fact that Kristen Bell had agreed to do voiceovers (since we know she's so good at those!) for the CW's new fall show, Gossip Girl. Word was that CW had until June 15th to make a decision on VM, but even before the last two episodes aired last night, the end seemed pretty well nigh. Even though Dawn Ostroff is saying "it could come back in some form," when no one's talked to Rob Thomas about it, it doesn't really inspire hope.

So, last night we said goodbye to Veronica - and I have to admit, the two-part season finale may have been the best two episodes of VM ever. Definitely in the top ten. It felt absolutely jam-packed with twisty mysteries and great emotional scenes, plus some unexpected cameo appearances. It seemed appropriate that the first hour's mystery centered on Weevil (he *is* still on this show!), and that the final episode was all about Veronica. The mysteries are definitely more compelling when it's V herself or someone close to her that's involved.

I admit, I was very worried for poor Weevil - as much as I love him, I kinda thought he did it. For being dumb enough to use the names of famous people on their fake IDs, those rich kids sure did a pretty good job framing him. (I also need to note the hilarity of not one, but TWO vampire references in the first hour. V was absolutely adorable when the forgers asked her to become one of them, and she replied, "Is this the part where you turn me into a vampire?"Hee.)

And then, the second mystery of the evening... I have to say, as soon as Dick showed Logan the video, my first thought was that the camera had been planted by the guy stalking Wallace. Which... it kinda turned out to be... but there was enough surprise in what exactly was going on there that I didn't mind the minor predictability. I mean, holy hell, who ever expected Jake Kane to turn up as the guy running the secret society?? I was completely shocked to see him (also, his beard scared me) so good on the show for not only keeping that a secret (or maybe there were spoilers, I didn't read them) and for not forecasting that earlier in the episode. When Veronica saw that picture of Lilly, I was *seriously* creeped out. I thought someone must have known she was coming, but why they'd put up a portrait of her dead best friend, I totally couldn't guess, other than just to freak her out.

Unlike Logan, I never thought the camera was planted by Piz, and hello to the irrationality there, boy. Seriously, Logan is a loose cannon, and as much as I love the LoVe, I don't blame Veronica one bit for cutting him out of her life. For a minute, when he showed up at the Mars Investigations office, I honestly thought he'd killed Piz. It kinda made sense - I knew Chris Lowell wasn't coming back, whether the show got picked up again or not, and the last time we saw Logan show up at V's door covered in blood, he'd (possibly) killed a PCHer. Must say, quite relieved that wasn't the case. I almost felt bad for Parker (almost), but who didn't know that break-up was coming eventually? She had to be blind to not realize he wasn't over Veronica. I was pretty surprised that the season didn't end with Logan and Veronica together - since Rob Thomas seems to have a tendency to do that, regardless of what's happened the entire preceding season - and especially if it was the end of the show, I figured he'd give the LoVe fans something to hold on to. While it saddens me that now they'll never be together, the conflict definitely made for a more interesting episode.

Speaking of more interesting, how about Dick?? I have been waiting all season for a Dick Casablancas breakdown, and we finally got in the last three or four episodes. At the beginning of the season, he had this on-the-edge attitude about him, and I kept expecting him to just lose it over all the crap that happened in season 2. But then he sort of mellowed and went back to being regular dumb (but always hilarious) Dick. So, I was really glad to see it all finally come out (the poor boy must have been bottling that up something fierce) and it makes sense that his father coming back was the catalyst. Ryan Hansen knocked it out of the park in his scenes with big Dick and with Logan - and even with Veronica and Mac (how funny - and random - was it when he tried to kiss Mac??). I always knew he had it in him, and it makes me wish we'd seen more serious/emotional Dick all along.

And finally... Keith. What a tragic ending there. It was just so heartbreaking to see him realizing he couldn't trust Veronica, and yet still committing a crime and sacrificing the election to keep her out of trouble. *sigh* If only they had been able to communicate better - Veronica could have said, "Hey, I'm handling this, no need to tamper with evidence" and saved him from all that. I can understand her not wanting to talk about a sex tape of her going around school, but still... And then, poor V realizing that she cost him the election, and then going to vote...

When I think about it, the ending was really unsatisfying, with all the things they left unresolved - it didn't feel wrapped up at all. It felt unsettling, as though in almost every situation, you KNOW that things are going to be worse than they were before, the complete opposite of the gift-wrapped-with-a-bow finale we got from Gilmore Girls last week. I guess that's the difference when you know it's the end. But Rob Thomas must have suspected it might be the end, and could've planned accordingly. On the other hand, the two episodes were so good, I almost don't care that it wasn't wrapped up. At least VM went out with a hell of a bang.

Veronica, I will miss you. Good luck in the FBI (assuming you can still pass the background check, what with all the times you've been arrested and the crimes your father's committed to protect you, and the unsavory ex-convict company you keep).

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 27, 2007 at 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, this doesn't have to do with veronica, but i found this strange website - tampon bowling. it's kind of funny
http://www.dittie.com/flash/tamponbowling.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home