Random thoughts

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

TV stuff

I think I am losing stamina in my TV-watching project. It is quite a lot of work, but my Netflix queue is hovering at a perilous 499 (the max is 500) and I feel almost obligated to clear it out a bit.

I finally finished Rome. I don't know if it was me or the quality of the show, but I found myself getting bored a little more often in season 2 than in season 1. I liked it, but in a very detached way, such that I really didn't care about any of the characters. I mean, a LOT of people die in season 2, and I can't think of a single one that made me do more than shrug. (And it's not the "history is a spoiler" issue - I knew Caesar was going to die, and it still worked.)

I have noticed a pattern with the painfully long premium channel credits, though. The more I like a show, the more likely I am to fast forward through the opening credit sequence and not waste time getting to the next episode. I never watched the credits with Dexter, I watched them about half the time with Dead Like Me, and I always seem to watch them with Rome because I can't be bothered to fast forward.

I started watching Fawlty Towers, and unfortunately, was not terribly impressed. I can't help thinking it's just not as funny as it thinks it is. Maybe because it's old and all the jokes seem cliche now? I watched up to episode 5, but it felt like a chore to finish it up before moving on to the next show, so I decided to abandon it and skip to something else...

Which was series 1 of The Office (UK). It's weird how there's this sense of deja vu (especially in the first episode, which was almost identical), even though I know the UK version came first. I don't think I have an opinion yet on which is better, though at the moment I lean toward the US version, both because I saw it first and thus it is the standard to which the other is compared, and because I can identify with it better. Sometimes British jokes go over my head. :(

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the way - new series for you to look for called "Sherlock". It's quite great...

Also, go see "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home