Random thoughts

Friday, June 25, 2010

So how was your week?

With the drama out of the way, here's how my week has gone:

I went to DSW on Sunday to return a pair of shoes (because they hurt my feet), and came home with three new pairs of shoes - one of which, it turns out, hurt more than the ones I returned. I swear to God, the women's shoe industry has ceased to make footwear and is now deliberately constructing torture devices. I love DSW for their wide selection, because for every three pairs of shoes I buy, I return two of them.

A big storm on Tuesday night knocked out the power in the whole area for about four hours. I happened to be watching an episode of Doctor Who at the time (the one with James Corden) and the power went out just as time went wonky, which was a bit freaky. The batteries were dead in my flashlight, and I didn't want to light candles after last time (I ended up with a singed and traumatized kitty cat), so I wandered around using my laptop as a source of light, lol. (My mother commented on the fortuitousness of having a pet who can see in the dark. Ha! She tried to trip me!) I woke up around 1:30 to find the power had kicked back in (and, thank goodness, the A/C was back on), so I went around and turned off all the lights and went back to sleep.

I had an impromptu shopping trip on Wednesday. As I may have mentioned, my boss is out of town this week, and so, assuming I wouldn't have to go anywhere (and since it's 95 degrees out), I declared it casual Wednesday and decided to go to work in a T-shirt and capris. *sigh* My boss called to say there was an event on the Hill that he wanted me to go to this afternoon, which necessitated proper attire. So off I went to Dress Barn, trying on anything that might match my purple shoes. After ruling out several ill-fitting dresses, I eventually decided that the capris were fine and went with a dressier top.

The event, btw, was Micky Dolenz of the Monkees, who was in town to support our lobbying campaign and performed with three musically talented members of Congress. I was impressed; they were pretty good. They did "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" and "I'm a Believer," which Micky made it a point to mention that he was singing that song way before Shrek, lol.

Also, I was talking to my mother yesterday, and I mentioned that I'd been reading Budget Travel magazine and now I want to take a cooking class in Italy. We also talked about work a bit, and then this happened:

Mom: "So, did you pick a class yet?"
Me: "Uh... no."
Mom: "Don't you need to do that?"
Me: "Not right now. It's kind of... early."
Mom: "When's the deadline?"
Me: "Um, I think they pretty much have them all year round. There aren't any deadlines."
Mom: "Well, we have classes all year round, too, but we still have deadlines."
Me: "...Are we talking about the same thing?"
Mom: "I'm talking about your [grad school] class that got canceled. What are you talking about?"
Me: "The cooking class in Italy!"
Mom: "Well, you probably want to wait until you've booked airfare before you choose a class."
Me: "I know! That's why I thought you were so weird. Weren't we just talking about Italy?"
Mom: "Oh. I move quickly. Try to keep up."

*sigh* I should never have introduced her to witty banter.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i want to go to italy! when are you going?

 
At June 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Haha, no actual plans for Italy. I do want to go at some point, though, so I'll let you know. :)

While we're on the subject, how does your summer look? Are you working? Because it'd be great if we could get together for a weekend or something.

 
At June 30, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

well up until recently i was going to have 2 weeks off between when my summer class ended and when my fall classes started, which i was hoping to plan a vacation. but i just got a summer camp job which goes until the last week of august. and i'm working at the animal hospital on weekends (varied schedule). but possibly sometime in august i could get a weekend off?
i was very excited to send in my "i quit" email to my walmart supervisor. so i'm down to 2 jobs this summer, and 3 starting in the fall.

 
At June 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Yay! No more Walmart!

I'm starting my second summer class July 7th and it runs until August 20th. Then I have off until August 30th, when my fall classes start. So maybe late August, when neither of us have classes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home