Random thoughts

Sunday, June 27, 2010

I do read books, too!

Since I have a take-home final to write this weekend, I am obviously procrastinating. :) As you've noticed, I've been talking a lot about TV shows and movies I've watched lately. I hardly ever talk about books, though. Which is partly because I'm in grad school and so most of the books I read are NOT FOR FUN.

But just for kicks, I thought I'd do one of those "books I've read this year" lists, and I was a little surprised at how many fun books I managed to squeeze in. This is everything I've read thus far in 2010, roughly in chronological order:
  1. Luncheon of the Boating Party, Susan Vreeland
  2. Skeletons at the Feast, Chris Bohjalian
  3. How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
  4. Total Lobbying, Anthony Nownes
  5. Congress: The Electoral Connection, David Mayhew
  6. Congress and Its Members, Roger Davidson and Walter Oleszek
  7. Congress Behaving Badly: The Rise of Partisanship and Incivility and the Death of Public Trust, Sunil Ahuja
  8. The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing American and How to Get It Back on Track, Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein
  9. Congress Reconsidered, Lawrence Dodd and Bruce Oppenheimer
  10. Unorthodox Lawmaking: New Legislative Processes in the U.S. Congress, Barbara Sinclair
  11. So Damn Much Money, Robert Kaiser
  12. The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America, Robert Brownstein
  13. Changes, Jim Butcher
  14. Almost Home, Pam Jenoff
  15. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wroblewski
  16. Broken Paradise, Cecilia Samartin
  17. Hostile Takeover: How Big Money & Corruption Conquered Our Government - and How We Take It Back, David Sirota
Plus scores of articles, essays, and reports on various topics for class.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you consider books about congress "fun"? ha. i'm still working on this one book that i got halfway through, put down for months, then i had to start it all over again. i'm just down to about 100 pages now.

 
At June 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Haha, no, the fun ones are the non-Congress books in between. #1, 2, 13, 14, 15, and 16. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home