Random thoughts

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Catch-up on TV stuff

I watched Tin Man, the Sci-Fi miniseries based on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and I rather enjoyed it, despite Zooey Deschanel being stoned out of her mind the entire time (or at least that what it seemed like). I generally can't stand her acting, with the spaced-out expression and the bizarre, flat speech patterns. It's actually rather similar to her sister's acting style, but at least Emily plays a character who's supposed to be totally out of touch.

The special effects are way better than you usually see in a Sci-Fi Channel original movie. Or maybe they've gotten better since the last time I watched the Sci-Fi Channel (which was before they changed the stupyd spellyng). I really wished they'd stop talking about "the O.Z." though. Every time they said it, it reminded me of The O.C. and I found it incredibly annoying.

I finished Dexter season 3, and okay, first, let's just get this out of the way: OMG JIMMY SMITS' MUSTACHE! I admit, it took me a little time to adjust and not think of him as President Santos, but that mustache... lol. Anyway, it felt like this season was a little off, but I'm still a big fan. Overall, I thought it was poorly paced and started off really slowly, but the Dexter/Miguel interactions were worth it. I really hope they try a new formula next season, though, because it's starting to feel repetitive.

I was disappointed in Rita's arc this season. She felt very much like a pregnant woman cliche, and although she and Dexter had some nice moments, overall it seemed like she was there more because she had to be, and not because they had anything interesting to do with her. On the other hand, I think I like Deb better now. Although I thought that at the end of last season, and then this season started and she was back to being dumb and obnoxious and had to work her way back up to mature and competent again. It's kind of starting to piss me off, that she has the same character arc every season, and then the next season it's as though it didn't happen.

I've started watching Dead Like Me, which I like so far, though I find it a little too quirky. (I thought the same thing about Arrested Development and Bryan Fuller's other show, Pushing Daisies, and both of those became so quirky as to be unwatchable, so we'll see). I'll probably post a reaction once I've finished season 1.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love all of Bryan Fuller's shows... "Wonderfalls" is excellent. Give it a shot...

Hey - I'm playing at Ramparts up off Quaker Lane on Wednesday. They still allow smoking in there - come at your own risk.

 
At July 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Wonderfalls is also on the list, but it's much further down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home