Random thoughts

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dexter

I've finished watching seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter, and I am officially hooked. If you've never heard of it, you live under a rock it's about a forensics consultant for the Miami PD who moonlights as a serial killer, but only kills other murderers.

First, let me say that this show definitely makes me think, "Wow, this is clearly on a premium channel," and you know why? It's not the nudity or the gore or the f-bombs - it's the insanely long intros. Only a show without commercials could spend five whole minutes on previouslies and the opening credits sequence. I know that a lot of people love the opening credits, and I give them kudos for being innovative and creepy, but damn. Longest. Credits. Ever. I have to admit, after the first couple episodes, I just started skipping straight to the beginning of the episode.

Anyway, I am a big fan of the morally ambiguous protagonist. (See also: Angel, Don Draper, Patty Hewes, Dr. Horrible.) However, it took me quite a while to get to the point where I felt more than a detached interest in Dexter. Like I'd be intrigued about what happens next, but not terribly invested in whether Dexter gets caught or someone close to him dies or whatever, and that's because Dexter starts out as a very emotionally detached character. I did think it got better over time, and by season 2, Dexter is much more capable of emotional connection. And while I still don't think I'd like to have a beer with him or anything (he is a serial killer, after all), I found myself caring very much about what happened to him and the people in his life.

I love Julie Benz like candy, so Dexter's girlfriend Rita is one of my favorite characters so far. I really didn't like Deb, Dexter's obnoxious sister, and I felt like the office politics at the police station were totally unnecessary, but I've really enjoyed the season-long arcs involving the Ice Truck Killer and the Bay Harbor Butcher investigations.

So, anybody else watching?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home