Random thoughts

Friday, June 25, 2010

The final straw

I finally deleted my Facebook account. Not that I really used it ever, except as a glorified address book and source of birthday reminders. I have been increasingly annoyed at their encroachments on privacy, and the last straw was today when I logged in (to deny a couple friend requests from people I don't know) and was confronted with another change to profile settings. Apparently, you are now required to link any information on your profile (particularly education, work, and interests) to their Facebook pages. If you don't, then you can't fill in anything and you have a blank profile. Which is bullshit, because I don't mind telling people that The Princess Bride is my favorite movie, but I don't think I should be OBLIGATED to link to its Facebook page on my profile. So, goodbye, Facebook. I probably won't miss you.

Also, unsettling news. Our president lost his election this week, which means that we're getting a new overlord. Who may want to clear out the old staff and replace them with his people. No one really knows what's happening or when, but I'm updating my resume. The most likely scenario seems to be that I'll keep my job, but my boss will be replaced, which is still somewhat worrisome.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i keep debating deleting my facebook. i hate the thing they did with the profiles too. but it's the primary way i keep in touch with some people. i've been thinking about just putting all my pictures on flickr or something instead of facebook

 

Post a Comment

<< Home