Random thoughts

Monday, June 07, 2010

Because rape isn't a crime, you see...

My parents were here this weekend, and since the only time I do anything touristy is when my parents come to visit, we went to the National Museum of Crime and Punishment. The museum itself was really interesting and fun, but I was most fascinated by the glaring omission of anything to do with rape IN A CRIME MUSEUM. As we were walking up the steps to enter the museum, I thought, "I wonder if they'll address rape at all." And... no. They didn't.

The museum chronicles the history of crime (though it's more of a highlights version than a comprehensive history) that includes medieval times, the Salem witch trials, the Wild West, the "public enemies" of the Depression era, mafia families, and notorious serial killers, as well as sections on crime scene investigation and forensics, imprisonment and famous prisons, capital punishment, cold cases, and America's Most Wanted. There were exhibits about murder, kidnapping, robbery, arson, identity theft, counterfeiting, assassinations, fraud, terrorism, and more - and yet, the only mentions of rape were incidental references in, say, the bio of a serial killer who also raped his victims. No exhibit, no statistics, no profiles of cases. Nothing about other forms of sexual assault or domestic violence.

Not exactly a surprise, but still a disappointment. And unfortunately, completely representative of society's attitudes toward rape.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 7, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We took an office trip there to see if it was suitable for our travelers. Personally, I thought that place was completely stupid, devoid of almost any kind of educational value, and to top it all off, there are spelling and grammatical errors ABOUNDING on the wall plaque descriptions. I hate that place. It serves no purpose other than to show how ugly people can be and to glorify violence and murder.

 
At June 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Heh, I did notice the grammatical errors. But I didn't have a problem with the subject matter, just the notable omissions.

I actually felt it was a little preachy with the "don't do crime, kids" message - which seemed off-base, because I really doubt the people going there are criminals in the making - so I definitely didn't get a vibe of glorifying violence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home