Random thoughts

Monday, May 31, 2010

Lazybones

I have been doing nothing but watch TV and movies lately. I've made a nice dent in my Netflix queue, but I've still got 286 things left. Thus far, I've seen I'm Reed Fish, Spiral, Open House, See Jane Date, Series 2-5 of Red Dwarf, Heathers, Secondhand Lions, District 9, and Seasons 1 and 2 of Party Down.

So, I've been doing a rewatch of Red Dwarf, and sadly, it didn't cheer me up as much as I'd have liked it to, though I did have the amusing realization that my professor from last semester is exactly like Rimmer when he's had his anger removed by a polymorph. :) This, however, will never stop being funny. I'm on Series 5 now, aka the series with my two favoritest episodes ever, "Quarantine" and "Back to Reality." *bounces* Except I haven't seen it since I watched Buffy, and it's doing strange things to me. I was watching "Demons and Angels" and I couldn't stop thinking of "The Replacement," and I now want to see BtVS versions of "The Inquisitor" and "Terrorform." Also, it occurs to me that "Back to Reality" = "Normal Again," but funnier.

I also watched See Jane Date, starring Charisma Carpenter - who, btw, has enormous post-pregnancy boobs and fantabulous short hair that is not at all like the awful things they did to it on Angel. (Zachary Levi is also in this movie, but I'd already seen pretty much his entire scene on YouTube.) It was cute, although it kind of got my feminist hopes up, only to disappoint me. It starts out with a typical romantic comedy situation: Jane, tired of all the criticism and relentless nagging from her family and friends because she's single, lies and says she has a boyfriend - who, of course, is now expected to be her date at her cousin's wedding. So now Jane has two months to meet and fall in love with a guy, so she can bring him to the wedding and avoid getting caught in an embarrassing lie. After a string of horrible dates and her cousin's snide (albeit true) accusation that this supposed boyfriend doesn't really exist, Jane flips out, delivering an awesome and empowering rant about how trivializing it is to be judged on whether or not she has a boyfriend. She's a great person, and has a great career, and she's really satisfied with her life, and how dare they determine her self-worth based on her dating status. So Jane proudly ends up going to the wedding alone... where, of course, she meets the man of her dreams, and the movie completely undermines its message by being unable to deliver a happy ending unless its heroine is in a relationship. *sigh* I should stop expecting things from romantic comedies.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 8, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

that doesn't sound as bad as the tv movie i've seen starring melissa joan hart and mario lopez, where she kidnaps him to make her family believe she has a boyfriend. i just looked up the title- "holiday in handcuffs". although i think i've watched it twice. ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home