Random thoughts

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Crazy shit going on in NJ politics

So... business as usual, then.

Big news: Congressman Rob Andrews is challenging Senator Frank Lautenberg in the Democratic primary. It's a bit of a kerfluffle because Lautenberg is older than dirt and has already retired twice, but agreed to take the Senate seat when its previous occupant resigned in a flurry of scandal. He wasn't supposed to run again, and Andrews was promised the seat after being overlooked to fill Corzine's vacated Senate seat when he ran for Governor (whose previous occupant ALSO resigned in a flurry of scandal. God, I love this state). But Lautenberg is apparently being an ornery old man and won't go away, so Andrews is like, "Fuck that shit. I'm taking this seat, old man."

And just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier, Andrews' wife, Camille (dean of Rutgers Law School) has announced that she's running for her husband's seat. Some people are calling her a "placeholder" until they find a real candidate; others are saying it's a ploy so that if Andrews loses, he can keep his old seat. But there's also a rumor that she seriously wants the seat.

You know what I find funny? The idea that people will be confused by two Andrewses on the ballot. Are they that dumb that they can't tell the difference between a man and a woman running for two different offices, who happen to (uh, because they're married) have the same last name?

Personally, I'm going kind of crazy and thinking, "Job! Job! JOB!" and I wish I'd known about this earlier, because I'd totally get on one or both campaigns and parlay that into a job in D.C. (Did I mention my mom knows Camille? Seeing as how she works at Rutgers Law School.) Or I suppose I could always wait until one or both gets elected, and then apply for jobs and move to D.C. next year like I planned anyway. (Sidebar: Why haven't the GW people emailed me back? Jerkfaces.) GAH!!

Oh, and also - Ed Rendell got a call from a pollster about the Presidential race. Hee! Says the Gov, "When they asked if Ed Rendell's endorsement had any impact, I said, 'absolutely.'" Nice to know he takes his own opinion into consideration when making his decision. Meanwhile, Bob Casey has "suddenly grown a set." *giggle*

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home