Random thoughts

Thursday, February 21, 2008

In review: Kitchen Confidential

Well, according to Jack Bourdain, you shouldn't believe anything you read in reviews, but I liked this show. :) I don't watch many sitcoms these days (HIMYM and The Office are pretty much it), but this one had potential. Which means it was immediately canceled by Fox. Brilliant.

This short-lived show is (was?) about the aforementioned Jack Bourdain, the head chef at a fancy-schmancy restaurant in NYC, where he is plagued by holy lobsters, the perils of brunch, French rivals, a boss who's disturbingly like a blonde version of Monica from Friends, and a sous-chef who likes to steal things. (But OMG he's British, so I love the little criminal. What? I'm easy.) Some of the plots were pretty darn predictable, but I'd say at least one laugh-out-loud moment per episode makes it worth it.

I think most people on this blog will know this show best as "that show with Xander." And yeah, Nicholas Brendon pretty much plays Xander as a pastry chef. But he's funny and I'm just happy to see him in something that doesn't involve crappy sci-fi movies with painful CGI effects. The one person that made me super-squee, however, was Sweets! Come on, you know, Booth and Bones' psychologist on Bones. (Or maybe you don't remember because we haven't seen a Bones episode in forever.) He's such a dork, I love it. And "Jim, go to your idiot hole" is classic. I wanna use that on the new guy in our office.

It only lasted 13 episodes (correction: they only made 13 episodes. I think about 4 of them actually aired), but it's definitely worth a look. The one downside: watching this show makes me incredibly hungry. And not just snacky-hungry. Like, "want to go to a fancy restaurant and eat really good food" hungry. Ah, the power of suggestion.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually saw "Pinata: Survival Island"?! Holy crap... And did you ever see "Freaks & Geeks"?

 
At February 21, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Pinata what? No idea...

And no, I haven't seen Freaks & Geeks, but I've heard it's good. Maybe once I get through the other 150 DVDs in my queue. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home