Random thoughts

Monday, February 11, 2008

Everybody back to work!

The writers' strike is OVER! *cheers*

So, what does that mean for your favorite shows? Michael Ausiello comes through as usual with a comprehensive list. Highlights:
  1. 24: Expected to return this fall or January '09.
  2. Bones: Four pre-strike episodes left. Unclear whether additional episodes will be produced for this season
  3. Chuck: No new episodes until fall.
  4. Friday Night Lights: No new episodes expected for this season. Future TBD. (see below for more info)
  5. How I Met Your Mother: Expected to shoot 5 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May
  6. The Office: Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.
The news on the FNL front is troubling. There's talk of moving the show to USA or Bravo (NBC-affiliated cable networks), but nothing is definite yet. I really, really hope that Friday's episode doesn't end up being the series finale. It was a good episode, but an incredibly unsatisfying ending (think of the greatness of season 1's "State"), particularly since the show was just starting to get back to its season 1 level of awesomeness after the shaky start to season 2. If you love the show as much as I do, and you're interested in a "save the show" campaign, Pop Candy has a few suggestions.

In other news, my favorite girl, Kristen Bell, is starring in what looks to be a Disney romantic comedy. I think we can pretty much guarantee that she will neither taser someone nor shoot electricity out of her fingers, but hey, maybe she'll be good even without electrocuting someone. :)

Also, my high school celebrity crush, Joshua Jackson, is starring in a new J.J. Abrams TV show called "Fringe." Yay! Oh, Josh, how I've missed you.

I also have a big political post coming (I've been saving up links, but never seem to find the time to talk about them), so don't think I've forgotten about the primaries!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At February 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

strike over? hurrah!
but we still have to wait till april to see any new office? :(
i hope things go well for scrubs, and it doesn't go straight to dvd...

 
At February 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of shows that were ending or on the brink of cancellation are just not going to get another shot. I can sort of see it from a financial perspective - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring the whole cast and crew back in, taking up sets on the lot, for a few episodes when it's going to be canceled anyway. But from a viewer perspective, it sucks that some shows may never get the chance to finish out their seasons the way they intended to.

 
At February 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, consider this - a few weeks ago, there was some news buzzing around that networks weren't going to be spending a lot of money on pilots anymore. We're going to be stuck with vapid reality contests and a lot of simple point-and-shoot stuff, and imagination is going to go quickly out the window. You want to see where we're headed? Take a look at Mike Judge's film "Idiocracy" and stare in abject horror...

 
At February 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, I had heard the news about less money for pilots. I think I've got a pretty full platter in terms of shows that will be coming back next year, so I'm not too worried about new pilots. The only one I'm really looking for is Joss' "Dollhouse," which sounded like a lock before the strike (7 ep pick up?), so I don't think they'll be affected.

 
At February 16, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Still hoping against hope that this will not be the last season of "How I Met Your Mother". I've really enjoyed "Reaper", "Pushing Daisies", "Chuck", "My Name is Earl", "Bones", and a few British shows ("Robin Hood", "Torchwood", "Spooks", and "Doctor Who"). As full a platter as yours?

 
At February 16, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I think mine may be even fuller. :) I absolutely want more "How I Met Your Mother," "Chuck," "Heroes," "Bones," "The Office," "Friday Night Lights," "Psych," "Damages," "Mad Men," and "Battlestar Galactica," which I'm still catching up on. Also a big fan of "Doctor Who," but that's more affected by David Tennant's theater success rather than the strike.

I've enjoyed "Reaper" and "Dirty Sexy Money" as well, but I won't miss too much if they don't come back. I've been watching "Torchwood," too, but that's more out of stubbornness than anything else, since I haven't found much to like about it other than James Marsters' episode. :)

 
At February 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Oops... also add "Pushing Daisies" to the shows I enjoy but wouldn't really miss... I knew I was forgetting something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home