Random thoughts

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Counting down to the weekend

Surprisingly, we're not all that busy in work today - I guess everyone's still trying to figure out what the heck is in the budget. I think we've hit on a foolproof strategy for keeping the legislature off our backs - come up with a funding formula that NO ONE understands (apparently, not even our budget office, and can I tell you how comforting that's not?). That way, they're all too busy scratching their heads to criticize us. We should've done this YEARS ago! (No, really, this is a much better formula than the old one, and we should've done this years ago. But please don't ask me to explain it.)

Looks like Friday Night Lights is on its way to being canceled, and I won't even start on how disappointed that makes me. But alas, Ben Silverman (the NBC Entertainment President) was asked about FNL's chances for another season. His response? "Watch 30 Rock." Ouch. He's kind of a dick.

Good news (for now) for Bones, though - new episodes have been bumped up two weeks to April 14th. Gosh, I really hope Fox changes the schedule a few more times before that, just to keep us all on our toes.

Television Without Pity has a new online video series. I haven't even had time to keep up with recaps lately, and with my computer hating videos right now (I'm so bitter with Dell), I probably won't check it out, but maybe it'll be cool.

Emilio Estevez is making a movie set in a public library. I think it'll be more interesting than it sounds. I absolutely loved "Bobby" (omg, I need to rent that again), so I'm all for him writing and directing. When he acts, I kinda can't think of anything other than the Mighty Ducks.

Now, politics. I guess I should sum up Super Tuesday, even though it was two days ago. (It was also Budget Day, okay? Lots to think about!) I think the popular phrase to describe the Democrats is "trading victories." In other words, Obama won more states, but Hillary won the big ones, so they kinda came out even. The formulas for proportioning out delegates are about as complicated as our basic ed funding formula, so don't even ask me to explain it. All told, Hillary's on top as far as delegates, but not by much, and she's not even halfway to the 2,025 benchmark for the nomination. You know what that means? Pennsylvania might actually matter!

John McCain, on the other hand, is running away with it on the Republican side, so it's no surprise that Mitt Romney just dropped out. Although it's exciting to think that the Pennsylvania primary might actually have an impact on choosing the Democratic candidate, the Republicans really have the advantage of the unified campaign. Once you settle on a nominee, the primary mudslinging stops, and everyone rallies around the candidate. Of course, it does give the opposition more time to concentrate their attacks on one person, but the Democrats have never been as good at that as the Republicans.

One other non-related bit of political hilarity - Karl Rove is joining Fox News. Why is that not at all surprising? Yes, fair and balanced indeed.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so the moral of the post is to not ask you to explain anything? gotcha.

maybe you can take a look at our zoo budget and figure out how we can build this million dollar animal health facility. unless you know any rich people who would like their name on a building. how about rendell? you're still like this (*crosses fingers*) with him, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home