Random thoughts

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happy Tuesday

I got 9 hours of sleep last night, so there's no reason why I should be tired, but I'm kinda dragging this morning. I also had to get dressed in the dark, as the circuit breaker blew in my apartment. I hope my socks match.

So, I had a really nice weekend. I took the train home Friday night, which was nice, because I didn't have to fight traffic in the snow, but it takes longer than driving, for some reason. And it feels longer, because I'm not doing anything. Well, I was talking to John (our new legislative aide, who was also going to Philly last weekend) for most of the ride, but I don't know, driving keeps me occupied or something.

Fun fact: I can get pretty much door-to-door by public transportation, but it takes me four trains to do it. I can walk to the station in Harrisburg, take Amtrak to 30th Street, then Septa to Center City, switch to Patco at 12th and Market to get to Camden, and then take the Riverline the rest of the way home. But that's an incredible pain in the butt, so I took two trains (Amtrak, then Septa to the Northeast), and then my dad picked me up. No one jumped off the Septa train this time, which is an improvement over the last time I took Septa, so yay.

Aunt Lynne came up to visit, as she was the one who bought the NY tickets. She, my mom, and I all took the train (this weekend is like an advertisement for public transport) into the city, and then walked to Central Park to have lunch at Tavern on the Green. Seriously expensive frou-frou restaurant. Not really worth the money, but we did have a lovely view of Central Park (all covered in snow), and my mother was paying, so I don't mind a bit.

Walked back to 45th Street for the show, which was very good - interesting, educational, and a lot funnier than I expected. It had the trademark Sorkin rapid-speak and wit, and even borrowed wholesale from The West Wing at times (he plagiarizes himself so bad). I learned a lot about how television works, and fleeting memories of chemistry and physics were coming back to me as they talked about cathode ray tubes (no, really, it's better than it sounds). I didn't realize there was a whole conspiracy/controversy over the invention of television. Apparently, this guy named Farnsworth, who was like, a boy genius, invented it, but couldn't get a clear picture. An exec at RCA/NBC was competing with him, trying to get his own scientist to invent a TV that worked first, and there was all kinds of conflict over patents and a lawsuit over whether RCA stole the design from Farnsworth. Who knew?

Sunday was a productive day - my dad did my taxes (and I now owe over $300 - boo!) and I got a new cell phone, which I completely don't know how to use yet. But it's all red and shiny, which makes me happy. Spent quality time with Patches - we're like BFFs now, she totally doesn't run away when she sees me anymore. She even sits still and lets me pet her.

On the down side, sleeping on the collapsible bed gave me a stiff neck, and I couldn't turn my head to the left for two days.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 26, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, what a great weekend indeed!! I'm glad you had a good time. I had to sit thorugh 7 lectures friday and saturday....boo!

 
At February 26, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, you were at home this past weekend? so was i! haha. i would have called you if i knew you were in jersey.

 
At March 1, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man... ships passing in the night, Megan! Although I didn't actually spend a whole lot of time in NJ, with all the traveling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home