Random thoughts

Friday, January 04, 2008

And so it begins...

The Presidential election, that is. The Iowa caucus was yesterday, an astoundingly bizarre system that involves standing in corners and complicated math. Obama and Huckabee came out the winners, which was a bit of a surprise. Here are the full results.

I think everybody knows I'm a Hillary fan, but I don't dislike Obama, and obviously I'd support whichever Democrat wins the nomination. I've found myself impressed by both candidates at some point, but I still can't help feeling that Obama impressed me with flash and rhetoric (I've never felt quite as enamored with him as I did the first time I saw him, giving a speech at the Democratic National Convention), whereas Hillary impressed me by being intelligent, engaging, and well-prepared for the job. So there's a sort of "meh" feeling with these results. Like, he's not bad, but we could do better.

On the Republican side, oh boy. I'm not sure whether to be happy, because I think either Clinton or Obama could defeat a southern minister with no foreign policy experience in the general election, or worried, because what if he actually won?? Not that this suggests that he could be the nominee. There are plenty of other candidates who still have a better shot, even with the blow of losing Iowa. This article seems to think McCain would benefit from all this, although I tend to think McCain's pretty much finished. Who knows?

Check back in five days for the results of the New Hampshire primary, which could have a decisive impact on who stays and who goes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home