Random thoughts

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Here's your damn update

So, it was ever so kindly brought to my attention *cough*Kelly*cough* that I haven't updated in a while. There's a very good reason for that. Normally, I update at work, when things are slow and I have time to troll the half-dozen websites I usually look to for news and random fun. But lately, I've been super-duper unbelievably out-of-control busy in work. So much so that I don't even have time to finish my actual work, let alone keep you people entertained.

BUT since Kelly demanded asked so nicely, I took some time after work today to check out what's been happening in the past... week? Ish.

I guess everyone knows by now that Heath Ledger died. It's absolutely shocking, especially since he never struck me as the drug-overdose kind of guy, even accidental. He was a talented actor, and always seemed to have his head on straight, unlike a lot of the out-of-control celebrities his age. It's a terrible shame.

Someone thought now was a good time to remind us all that Heath's first major role was in a short-lived TV show called Roar, which I mention because it was the first thing I ever saw him in, and I remember loving that show and being disappointed when it was canceled. And then, when everyone fell in love with him in 10 Things I Hate About You, I was all, "Hey, I saw him first!"

In happier news, NBC is having another auction, where you can bid on merchandise from their shows, including Friday Night Lights, Heroes, and The Office. Guess whose birthday is coming up? *grin*

Also on Friday Night Lights, this article pisses me off. It drives me crazy that TV has become all about franchising. That's the exact thing that kept me from watching Heroes at first. I'm glad there are no FNL trading cards or board games or... vibrating brooms? What? (Wow, Harry Potter fans are kinky...) Anyway, it's the simplicity of the show, the genuine reflection of everyday life, that makes it so wonderful. Turning it into a soulless commercialized franchise would totally destroy the magic, and I resent the fact that this purity is what keeps it from being a hit show. I felt the same way about Veronica Mars -I was so sorry to see it canceled, but at the same time, I would hate it if the show compromised its values and quality just to become a trashy hit. I worried that FNL was going that way in the beginning of season 2, but I think they've recovered, and I'm once again finding myself completely charmed by this little show. Don't take it away from me, you evil corporate bastards!

Okay, then. Jericho has two possible endings, one in the event it is canceled after its 7-episode 2nd season, and one if it's picked up for a third. Good plan, really, because God only knows how many nuts would be shipped to studio execs if the show got canceled on another cliffhanger.

Are you starting to feel the effects of the strike, as all of your favorite shows disappear from the prime time schedule? This feature might help you find a new show to watch. (I think my favorite is, "If you like Heroes, try Buffy the Vampire Slayer." I'm already into season 3 in rewatching my Buffy DVDs. Thanks, Strike!) Also, I'm throwing out my personal recommendation for Battlestar Galactica. I just watched all of the first two seasons on DVD, and now I'm ripping my hair out because season 3 doesn't come out on DVD until March. The fourth and final season airs starting in April.

Well, that should keep you busy at least until the weekend. I'd talk about politics, but that'd probably be a whole separate post (makes it easy for you all to ignore it that way, lol).

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! A new post! Thank you!! See, wasnt the gratitude worth it? :-D

 
At January 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, i was hoping you'd tell me the writers strike is over. because letterman said something the other day about "glad the writers are back". and lol @ the buffy thing. i'm watching season 6 now, since i finally got it in the foldout version to match the rest of them, completing my buffy collection.
and those auctions are great. i want michael's christmas card to carol. haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home