Random thoughts

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

How many resolutions have you broken today?

Happy New Year! I've been somewhat slacking in the posting department lately, but honestly, not much to talk about. Christmas was nice - other than one drunk aunt (too many cosmopolitans) and the usual irreverent grandmother, nothing was too over the top.

(Sample conversation:

Grandmom: What religion are the Buddhists?
Laura: They're Buddhist.
Grandmom: But I mean, what are they? Are they Jewish?
Laura: No, they're Buddhist. Buddhism is a religion.
Grandmom: Oh. Really? They look Chinese. (pronounced "Chin-ee")
Laura: *facepalm*)

I got lots of awesome presents, including snazzy new work clothes and a George Foreman grill, which Kelly took for its maiden grilling yesterday.

New Year's Eve was fun, no buildings were burned to the ground despite the city's insane decision to shoot off fireworks in the middle of downtown rather than over the river (two blocks over) like non-pyromaniacs, and no eyes were poked out by champagne corks, although it was touch and go there at 11:59 when we couldn't get the damn bottle open.

This is my first new year in central Pennsylvania, and I discovered something hilarious about the way it's celebrated. Maybe other places do this, too, but they never did it where I'm from. I'm sure you're all familiar with the ball dropping in Times Square. Well, here in central PA, every town drops something that has some connection to the town. So, for example, Hershey drops a Hershey's kiss. Mechanicsburg drops a wrench. Lancaster drops a red rose, and I think York drops a white rose... or if they don't, they should. Carlisle drops a car (that seems dangerous to me, but it's their second annual car-dropping, so I'm assuming they did it last year without any casualties). And my personal favorite, Lebanon drops a 150 lb. bologna, which is then donated to a local homeless shelter or something.

God, this state is weird.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home