Random thoughts

Monday, May 24, 2010

Food post

This is a dinner I cooked a couple weeks ago. I've had pork chops in my freezer for a while, so I made Pork Chops with Apples and Shallots. I am not terribly happy with the broil function on my toaster oven. It seems to be rather inconsistent, and I ended up having to broil the pork chops forever in order to get them cooked through, which meant that my apples and the spinach were both done and sitting around while I had to wait for the chops. Not good. But once they were cooked, the dish was pretty good, although it could've used a bit more sauce (I think all the wine cooked away while I was waiting for the pork chops). I've added a little more wine when I heat up the leftovers, so that there's some liquid. 

Unfortunately, the Wilted Spinach with Nutmeg was a total flop. It was bland and soggy and tasted like baby food. I dumped parmesan cheese on it to make it edible (this is my solution to every cooking failure), but I ended up tossing what was left, because I had no desire to eat it again. I don't know - is it possible I cooked it too long? Can you over-wilt spinach? Mushy vegetables are, like, the worst thing ever to me. You know what I would like to try? Deep fried spinach. I've had it in a restaurant before, and it was amazing. Mmmmm, crispy spinach. Not sure if I could do it at home, though. I'm not big on deep frying. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home