Random thoughts

Friday, May 14, 2010

What is with Facebook continually trying to encroach on my privacy?

So, after hearing about the latest privacy-violating feature that's been made opt-out rather than opt-in, I'm about ready to delete my Facebook account. WTF Internets?? Why is it so hard to understand that some of us might enjoy limited social networking without having our personal information automatically shared with every other site we use? Like that Google Buzz thing. That was horrifying.

I also saw this Evolution of Privacy on Facebook feature today, which is similarly disturbing. And even though the OP says, "I hope your takeaway from this infographic isn't 'I'm deleting my account;' rather, I hope it's 'I'm checking my privacy settings right now, and changing them to a level with which I'm comfortable,'" I can't see how making "OMFG I have to check my privacy settings RIGHT NOW" a typical response to policy changes is a GOOD thing. I don't want to feel threatened every time a website I use introduces a new feature. And I DON'T want to have to rush to the site to opt out in order to protect myself.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 16, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i've been contemplating getting rid of my facebook too. mostly because a supposed "friend" screwed me over on something i had posted that was blown way out of proportion. i think i have it set now that only friends can see anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home