Random thoughts

Monday, April 26, 2010

Food post!

Oi. This has been the busiest week EVER. Between trying to put together a big event for work and writing final papers for school and my friends deciding to be social this weekend, of all times, I am about ready to fall over dead.

I haven't had much time for cooking experiments, but I did try this recipe for Halibut with Mustard-Nut Crust earlier this week. It was really good. I used the key lime mustard that I bought in Key West. I emailed the recipe to my mother, and she replied back, saying, "Did you shell, skin, and toast the hazelnuts??" No, Mother, I did not. I did what any sane person would do and bought a bag of chopped hazelnuts (already shelled and skinned) and then smashed 'em up with a salt shaker.

I think I need to invest in a set of stovetop pans that can go in the oven. For this recipe, I had to start out cooking it in a pan on the stove, and then transfer the whole thing to a baking dish to put it in the oven. Which wasn't awful, but it's one more thing to clean, you know? It took quite a bit longer to cook than the recipe said - I think I baked it for about 17 minutes, because it wasn't even close to done when I checked it after 10 minutes.

Also, halibut has bones in it. Consider that lesson learned.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

when is school over for you? i'm done next week. i'd invite you to salisbury to go out for my birthday, but then i'm going up to nyc the next day to see my brother do stand up comedy. sometime this summer you should visit! the beach is close by! and i only have to take 1 summer class on mondays....ugh, school year-round

 
At April 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Ugh. School is never over. My last paper is due May 5th, and classes start again for the summer May 18th. I'm taking two classes, Monday and Wednesday for the first session (May-June) and Tuesday and Thursday for the second session (July-August).

I'd definitely like to come visit sometime, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home