Random thoughts

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Problem with Parenthood

(It’s mostly good stuff; I just liked the alliteration.)

So, I’m really enjoying Parenthood so far. Mostly the Peter Krause and Lauren Graham stuff, but that’s kind of what I expected anyway. I really enjoy seeing them interact with each other and with their kids. I loved last week’s episode where Drew was all excited to play baseball with Adam and Max and, like, actually have a father figure, and with Max obviously adoring Drew. And then Sarah getting all mama-bear about her kids – first with Julia when she was reluctant to have Amber babysit, then with Adam for letting Drew down. And somehow I’m managing to find the fact that Sarah and Amber both have a crush on Amber’s teacher to be adorable instead of creepy. :)

The whole Haddie and Yo-Yo saga is silly in the way that teenagers always are, but I kind of adore Adam’s reactions to his daughter’s boyfriend. It might possibly remind me of someone I’m related to. :) And I thought they touched on some depth for Haddie when she talked about how it’s always been all about Max. Another thing I liked was this week’s interaction between Kristina and Max’s behavioral aide. I remember reading that Jason Katims actually has an autistic child, and it definitely shows in the realistic way he portrays the struggles the family is going through.

I’m slightly less fond of the parents and Crosby, although they had some great material this week when Crosby broke the news about Jabbar, who, by the way, remains absolutely adorable.

So what’s the problem? Julia.

For one thing, I can’t buy her as a high-powered lawyer AT ALL. She looks like she’s fresh out of law school, if that. And the frazzled career woman role was played much more realistically by Rachel Griffiths on Brothers & Sisters. She was okay when she was giving Crosby advice on his situation, but I just can’t bring myself to care when she gets stomped on every week for being a bad parent (even though she’s usually right), and I really can’t get invested in the whole “stay-at-home husband who cheats” thing, which was also already done on Brothers & Sisters. Hey, maybe Julia can do something illegal and run off to Mexico, and we’ll never have to see her again?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home