Random thoughts

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mini-rant

Newsflash: People in West Virginia are racists.

I'm referring, of course, to the reports that Hillary Clinton won the WV primary, "where racial considerations emerged as an unusually salient factor." I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I pretty much expected race to be a factor in a backwoods kind of state full of white working-class voters.

I also think it's interesting that while Obama's candidacy is prompting everyone to talk about racial issues, no one seems willing to address the rampant, disgusting sexism that has reared its ugly head in the anti-Clinton rhetoric. I can't even begin to imagine the uproar that would result in the media and across the country if people used racial slurs against Obama the way they have used sexist ones against Clinton.

I've mentioned this before, and I still can't get over it. So, what I've learned from this election is that it's still socially and politically acceptable to demean and hate women. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home