Random thoughts

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TV stuff

I'm free! For two weeks, at least, now that my class is done. And my boss is on vacation for most of next week, which means lots of TV watching. I finished The Office (UK), which I have to say, got harder and harder to watch. The special was just horribly unpleasant. Definitely, definitely voting for the US version as the superior Office.

I'm now watching Six Feet Under. I'd seen season 1 before, and rewatching it reminded me of how much I LOVED IT. I love every single one of the Fishers and their fucked-up lives so very, very much. Onto season 2 now, which I started long ago, but for some reason never finished. The funny thing about it is that originally I didn't have any impressions of the actors except for Peter Krause's role on Sports Night (which I loved), but this time around, nearly everyone is from some other show. Peter Krause's now on Parenthood, Michael C. Hall's on Dexter, Rachel Griffiths is on Brothers and Sisters, and Lauren Ambrose I need to watch more of because damn, she is awesome. I was impressed with MCH's range watching Dexter, when I knew him as David, and now it's happening again in reverse. Also, I don't hate Brenda as much as I did last time around, but I still find Sarah Walker to be infinitely more tolerable.

I've also started - dun dun dun - Lost. Thus far I've seen all of season 1 and am pretty much hooked. I am trying very hard not to think that anything means anything, because I know that way leads to madness, but I can really see why people got all fanatical about that kind of stuff. If I'd been watching it as it aired, without the benefit of knowing that it's complete and utter lunacy to try, I'd probably be writing essays about all kinds of thematic and symbolic shit.

I will say, though, that I am enjoying the story qua story. I like the way they are handling the flashbacks, and the character development seems to complement the tension from everyone keeping secrets and all the scary shit on the island (seriously, there sure are plenty of ways to die on that island, aren't there? It's a freakin' death trap).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

have you already heard stuff about lost since it's all over and people are always talking about it? like the story line and how it ends and such? i've never even seen it, but have heard all sorts of crazy things about it

 
At August 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Haha, yeah, I've heard some crazy things - it's pretty much impossible to avoid picking up at least some things when it's a pop culture phenomenon like this. But most of it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE, so it doesn't actually tell me anything about what happens. I just recognize some of the characters and know vague, random things about polar bears and statues with four toes and Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangles and sideways universes and UnLocke and it's the most bizarre not-really-spoiled state ever.

 
At August 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Polar bears? Now I'm intrigued.

 
At August 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Indeed, polar bears. They are on the (tropical) island, thus far with no explanation as to how or why.

Told ya it was weird. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home