Random thoughts

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Good show/bad show

It's like good cop/bad cop, but with TV. First, Chuck. Well, that definitely felt like a season finale, didn't it?

Hahaha, I love Chuck being a real spy and leading a tactical assault, only to find out it's completely unnecessary. "And the tank. Uh, cancel the tank."

Sarah totally broke my heart with her "I was a good spy" line. Yvonne does play emotion so well, so finding out she killed Shaw's wife was nicely done. I just wish she hadn't been drugged and helpless for so much of the climax. That bugged me, even though Chuck/Sarah is basically a gender reversal - she's been kickass for three seasons now, while Chuck was more often the one in distress. So I understand that it had to be Chuck who saved the day all by himself, and that the only way it'd be okay for him to kill someone is if it was to save Sarah's life. (But I still like Sarah being awesome!)

Speaking of which, I'm still kind of bothered by Sarah's hypocrisy on the killing thing. She thinks Chuck killed someone and she can't be with him, because he's not the Chuck she knew (he's the Chuck he thought she wanted him to be). Then she finds out he didn't and suddenly it's all okay again. She does realize he's a spy, right? And that sooner or later, he's going to have to kill somebody? That, in fact, at some point their lives might depend on it?

...like, oh, fifteen minutes later with Shaw?

I'd feel better about it if they were playing more subtly, if it was about Sarah's guilt for turning Chuck into a killer, rather than just being morally offended that Chuck might do the same thing she's been doing for five years. And I don't feel like it was resolved at the end, with Sarah suddenly okay with it because he killed someone to save her. It just seems too easy.

Anyway, I'm kind of skipping all over the place. I never realized just how tall Adam Baldwin is until he walked through the door at the Buy More and his head was almost touching the door frame. Has he always been that tall? Have I never noticed?

OMFG is there some kind of law that Mark A. Sheppard must appear in every show I like? I'm kind of getting sick of him. Loved the hostage thing in the elevator, though, lol.

Drunken Guitar Hero and Morgan tied up with the gaming cables! LOL, between this and the cheese ball obsession early in the season, depressed!Chuck is kind of awesome.

General Beckman and Morgan - hee!! First of all, who knew Casey had a soft spot for Morgan? And Morgan as a spy? "I gotta go quit my job!" "Don't do that." I'm curious how they're going to integrate Morgan into Team Bartowski. Part of me thought it was just a way of humoring Morgan, letting him think he's a spy but not letting him near anything actually dangerous, but I have to give Morgan a little credit - I think he'd catch on to that at some point.

Casey giving Chuck a pep talk on the plane, aww. I did like the reminder that Chuck is more than just the Intersect, that he does have his own skills and he's a damn intelligent guy.

But the best part is... SIX MORE EPISODES YOU GUYS!

And now, "how to write really badly," brought to you by last week's Bones.

Holy crap, heavy handed much? I feel like too often this show uses a sledgehammer to get their point across. Did we really need Sweets to talk to a guy who was cured of cancer and then immediately killed? Surely something a little less over the top could've caused Sweets to reevaluate his life. My God, talk about a walking cliche.

I also rolled my eyes heartily at Daisy being cluelessly self-confident and never having been dumped before. She's just a little mini-Brennan, isn't she?

And the whole book plot wasn't really any better, with the ridiculous caricature of a reporter. It's like they have something against nuance. What did nuance ever do to you, Hart Hanson? Did nuance kill your wife and now you're out for revenge or something? (See what I did there?)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At April 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just you wait until tonight's "Bones". This one'll throw you almost completely. I thought it was one of their best.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Blogger Laura said...

REALLY? I just watched it, and I thought it was AWFUL...

 
At April 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The first five minutes of tonight's "Bones" will have you cringing. I hate the way teens are portrayed these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home