Random thoughts

Sunday, February 14, 2010

More cookery

Happy Valentine's Day. I am celebrating by watching Veronica Mars. (She's a marshmallow.)

Anyway, more food stuff. I made Sauteed Chicken in Mustard-Cream Sauce, since I still had leftover heavy cream (seriously, one pint of that stuff lasted for, like, five recipes). I totally recommend this one. I wasn't too enthusiastic about it, since I've been making chicken with honey mustard salad dressing for years, and it's really good, and I figured why go to the trouble of making your own sauce when you can just use the stuff in the bottle? Oh, man. This sauce is amazing. It's tangy and light, and it tasted delicious on the chicken. I even added it to my woeful Orzo and Snap Pea Salad, and it was a definite improvement. I didn't make four servings of chicken like the recipe says, so I had some leftover sauce that I put on, like, everything until I'd used it all up. :)

Remember the snowpocalypse that started a little over a week ago? Nothing better than a hot bowl of soup on a snowy day, so I made Quick Crab Stew for lunch that Friday. It's kind of a cheaty recipe, since it uses cans of condensed soup, but I had a lot of recipes picked for this weekend and wanted something quick and easy. (I do have a real crab soup recipe, also from Paula Deen, which I will probably try eventually.) It came out a lot like New England clam chowder in color, consistency, and taste, but I'll take crab over clams any day, so it's worth it to whip this up rather than just opening a can of clam chowder. I gotta say, though, if you're gonna make it, make sure you use the right crab meat - if you get the "special" grade that's shreds or flakes of crab, it'll disappear into the soup. You definitely want the nice lumps of meat in there, plus the claw meat has a stronger flavor than the white meat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home