Random thoughts

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ahh, long weekends

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day. I had a pretty busy weekend. Left work early on Friday so I could drive to my parents' house to join a barbecue already in progress. Spent Saturday at a car show, where my dad won a trophy and I got one of those freaky sunburns that's only on one arm and I have a weird shirt line, and then when it was over, my mom decided to take a different route back to the car, so of course we couldn't find the cross-street where we'd parked, and we walked for about half an hour before we found it again.

That night, we watched "Taken," the Liam Neeson movie where his daughter goes to Paris and doesn't call him when she lands, and then she gets kidnapped - which prompted my mother to say, "You see what happens when you don't call?" (Let it be known that I have gone to Europe many times, and I have never once been kidnapped, so there.) I pointed out that if that ever did happen, I'd be a goner, because my father insists he doesn't like to travel, and would probably say, "I'm not going to France!"

The highlight of the weekend was Sunday, when my parents and I went to another barbecue, where it was really, really windy. My mom had a paper plate with tartar sauce on it (they had the BEST crabcakes there), and along came a gust of wind and splat! Plate hit my dad square in the chest. Huge tartar sauce stain on his shirt.

Dad: The only way it would've been better is if it had hit me in the face.
Mom: You know, I'm finally feeling closure after that wedding cake incident.
Dad: What wedding cake incident?
Mom: OUR wedding. You smooshed the cake in my face.
Dad: You really need to let that go.

Fortunately, when we got home, my mother managed to work her magic with Shout spray cleaner, which prompted her to say, "We should reenact the whole thing and film it, and send it to Shout to use as a commercial. This stuff really works!"

On Monday, my parents decided it would be a good day to clean the deck. My dad got out the power washer and everything. I said, "The hell with this. I'm going home."

Oh, and in between all the excitement, we also did some trip planning - we're going to San Francisco in July!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At May 27, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Anonymous megan said...

ha, i could see your mom endorsing "shout".

and i want to go to san fransisco! except i'm working 6 days a week :( and probably can't take off very much.

 
At May 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Wow! Your weekend was way more exciting than mine. And made for excellent stories. I have suffered odd sunburn lines more than once- particularly nasty in convertibles, when you get to add the weird seatbelt line!

And San Fransisco sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I could travel more. Alas, lack of wherewithal! Perhaps I should stick to short trips. Like Hbg. :)

 
At May 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Megan - but at least you're working! Better than unemployment. What's the new job?

Kelly - you should travel to Hbg more! I am tapping my foot impatiently waiting to hear when I can see you.

 
At May 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Anonymous megan said...

i'm at the zoo down here. i'm the guard for the summer. everyone laughs at me when i tell them that. apparently i'm not intimidating enough. but they've had girls do the job before.
but it's only through labor day, so i'm still job hunting

 
At May 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Blogger Laura said...

LOL, do you get a weapon? What are you guarding? The whole zoo, or just one spot?

 
At May 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Anonymous Kelly said...

What the hay? New Buffy movie? Sans Joss and SMG?!
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/mwop/moviefile/2009/05/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-the-m.php

 
At May 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Anonymous megan said...

no, no weapon. though i think there's pepper spray in the office. and yeah, it's the whole zoo. but i'm not by myself, since a keeper stays late. and i get to do more keeping stuff, like putting animals away and feeding.

and as to what kelly posted there; ugh, how terrible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home