Random thoughts

Monday, November 26, 2007

Worst. Tech support. Ever.

So, one of my super Black Friday purchases was a wireless router for my apartment, so that I can have freedom of internet without relying on my neighbor's unreliable service. It cost me $15, which is dirt cheap (Dell wanted $41, and Comcast wanted $100).

Maybe I shoulda just paid the extra money, though, because their tech support is horrendous. Naturally, they're from outer Mongolia or something and I can't understand a word they say. And then - I called them last night because even though I had the router all set up, I was having trouble getting my computer to recognize the network. After being on hold for 15 minutes (on my cell phone... minutes aren't free, people), I get a person who tells me (twice, because I didn't understand him the first time) that the wait is 25 minutes, and do I want to stay on the line and wait or give him my name and number and have someone call me back? Well, you're not worth 25 MORE of my cell phone minutes, so I give him my info.

This was last night, a little after 7pm.

I get a call back TODAY. Over 21 hours later. Interesting concept of "25 minutes" they have. I'm like, "Um, I'm at work now. As people do. And NOWHERE NEAR MY COMPUTER." Maybe if you'd called back the SAME DAY?

The fantastic irony is that I SOLVED the problem I was having yesterday (it only took me an hour to figure out the encryption key nonsense), and my wireless internet was fun and fancy-free. Until, of course, I went home at lunch today, and discovered that the network has apparently reset or something and now is completely inaccessible to me. Swell. So instead of the satisfying "you are the crappiest tech support ever" ranting tell-off I was hoping for, I now have to wait until I get home, call them back, and presumably waste another 40 minutes on the phone to get help with my NEW problem.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2007 at 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that stinks.
i had to ask rob what sort of router was good when i had to buy one. i have a link-sys or whatever. it was more expensive, but seems to work pretty well.
too bad i don't live with a bunch of computer geeks anymore. now i have to try and solve my own computer problems.

 
At November 29, 2007 at 9:32 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, mine is TrendNet... not the best, but that's what I get for paying $15. I think I got it figured out now (no thanks to tech support), so cross your fingers that it keeps working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home