Random thoughts

Friday, October 06, 2006

Random stuff

Still sick, so forgive me if I'm not coherent. (But on an unrelated note, aren't cold pills fascinating?)

First, a follow-up to the Amish shooting tragedy, or "why the Amish are better people than the rest of us." I would imagine that forgiveness in this situation would be really hard, and those people were there the same day comforting the shooter's family. That's pretty damn impressive.

And, as it turns out, the Daily Show is "just as substantive as network coverage." Seriously, a study shows that it's a legitimate source of news. I've been saying this all along - even though it's definitely humor-based, you really need a basic understanding of what's going on in the world in order to get the jokes, because they're very much based on current events and newsworthy issues. My roommates have been known to watch it and go, "I don't get it..." because they didn't know about the news story it was mocking. I've never been a big fan of TV news to begin with, so the Daily Show is really the only "TV news" I watch, but it's always nice to have academic studies as back-up.

This is funny: the 80s movie montage Hall of Fame.

Also, maybe you've heard of it, but it's new to me... AIM Fight.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home