Random thoughts

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

TV Roundup

Six Feet Under is back - rerunning on Bravo. I'd forgotten just how much I loved that show. The Fishers are great - they're all so dysfunctional, you just have to love them.

Studio 60 also continues to please me. I'm liking Harriet more (for all the talk about how talented she was, she wasn't being very funny, but this last episode got me) and the Big Three in general crack me up. Jordan - soooo gonna sleep with Danny before this is over. Unless that thing w/ Matt and Danny on the beach pans out... lol. It was like Josh and Sam all over again. Two complaints: First, Bradley Whitford needs to lose the "glasses on the forehead" look. It's just weird, and calls attention to his receding hairline. And second, it's a show about a sketch show. The sketches need to be funny. They're not, so far. I realize Aaron Sorkin writes dramas, but if they're gonna show parts of the "show within a show" then they need to make it funny.

Gilmore Girls continues to be disappointing. There are other things I could do with my Tuesdays, people. I give it one or two more weeks. And that's saying a lot, because I very rarely give up on a show. I watched The West Wing till the bitter, bitter end. I watched Sliders long after it became unwatchable. I've hung on to 24 even when it seemed to be going downhill (and feel I was rewarded, since I think it's going back up in quality again). I generally don't give up on shows. But I might just give up on this one.

Veronica Mars, on the other hand, still as great as ever. Premiere last night was a good mix of funny and mystery and "welcome to college." I was mildly confused by Keith and the Fitzpatrick guy at the end (oh, Kendall...) until Becky explained it to me, and I'm not sure I like the new credits, but other than that, good stuff. I'm glad we actually got to SEE Logan and Veronica together this time (they're so cute!), I like Wallace's roommate (but what kind of a name is Piz? I kept hearing "Piss"), and I was totally surprised when Mac's roommate ended up one of the rape victims. You just knew that was going to be a big mystery, from the episode last season. I wonder if the Arrested Development kids will come back. That'd be cool. For an extra-special treat, here's a blooper reel from seasons 1 and 2 on YouTube.

Tonight is the premiere of The Nine, and from the reviews, it sounds like it might be good. Although Kim Raver's leading role doesn't leave much hope for the future of Audrey Raines on 24...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home