Random thoughts

Friday, February 19, 2010

Last one for a while, I promise

I don't know if any of you watch the Olympics. I generally don't, although I did go through a phase in college where my roommates and I were obsessed with curling. Mainly, I am just cranky that all of my shows are either pre-empted by the Olympics, or in reruns because they think no one wants to watch anything else. When stuff comes back on, hopefully I'll talk about it. In the meantime, I talk about food.

I loooove French onion soup, so I was really excited to make this French Onion Tart. It came out pretty decent, but definitely needs a few warnings. First, the "crust" on the puff pastry is completely unnecessary, especially if you're planning to cut it up and serve it as an hors d'oeuvre. You end up with some pieces that are all crust and no topping. Just leave off the extra strips and spread the onions almost to the edges. Also, I added some grated gruyere cheese on top of the onions before I put it back in the oven, since that is an essential element to the soup. 

I ended up with a few strips of leftover puff pastry, so rather than let them go to waste, I baked them and made some dessert. It was kind of a cross between a cannoli and a profiterole, which is a French pastry sort of like a cream puff, but with an ice cream filling. I had leftover ricotta, so I used the cannoli filling (recipe here) instead of ice cream, topped with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. It was yummy.

I also had a chocolate chip cookie craving over the weekend, which resulted in what I am calling "multi-chip" cookies. I used the good old Tollhouse cookie recipe, but I didn't have enough chocolate chips, so I just used whatever I had leftover from other recipes. I ended up with chocolate, white chocolate, and butterscotch chips all mixed in. The combination of the white chocolate and the butterscotch makes them very sweet, but you can't go wrong with the Tollhouse recipe. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but when I was a kid, my mother - who is an excellent cook in all other ways - would totally fail at making chocolate chip cookies. They always came out hard and flat as a pancake. But these were nice and fluffy and soft on the inside.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

when my mom would make her chocolate chip cookies- she would take them out when they weren't totally done, leave them on the baking sheet for a minute or 2, then put them on the cooling racks. they cookies still cook a little when you take them out of the oven. almost like brownies. better to be not quite done and gooey than overdone.
plus my mom had an awesome cookie recipe stolen from the jello pudding box.

 
At February 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, I remember your mom's cookies! They were always yummy. I think the pudding is the secret.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home