Random thoughts

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not dead...

...mostly.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, assuming there's anyone still reading. Work is still busy and stressful and horrible. I haven't watched TV since last Wednesday. I'm desperately hoping that things slow down in April, because I don't think I can take much more of this.

My birthday weekend was pretty good. On Friday, I had a work thing at Cabrini College, so I drove home afterward. We had a birthday dinner with my parents, my aunt (my cousin and her boyfriend were supposed to come, but she was sick, so they stayed home), and Megan. Saturday, my parents and I decided to have The Talk about what I should do, given that I don't have a job yet and it doesn't seem likely that I'll get one in this economy. The short version is, I might not be moving to DC because I can't get a job, which means deferring grad school, and my dad's soul-crushing cynicism made me cry ("You probably can't even get hired at Target."). I wasn't even in the mood for shoe-shopping afterward.

That night, my mom and I went to see "The Irish... and How They Got That Way," which was my Christmas present to her. We tried to go to an Irish pub for dinner, but they were all overflowing with St. Patty's Day people in green t-shirts, so when we got home from the show, my mother made her own green beer with food coloring.

On Sunday, we finally got around to the aforementioned shoe-shopping, and then Megan and her dad came over (along with a shiny Corvette to which my dad's reaction was equivalent to dangling catnip in front of Chelsea). Then we had another birthday dinner with my dad's side of the family, and then I went home.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a delightful surprise it was to click on your blog and see a new entry!! I'm sorry work sucks, and I hope it slows down for you. The job hunt is quite depressing, and it is disappointing you might have to defer. But ignore your dad! There are still some jobs out there. Somewhere. Maybe Alaska? We can both move there and be fishermen's wives! Or something.

 
At March 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Hmm, but the problem, see, is that I don't need a job anywhere. (As much fun as it would be to be a fisherman's wife in Alaska...) I need one specifically in DC. If it weren't for that, I could just keep the job I have now (which some people say I should do anyway, given this economy).

 
At March 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray! She posts!

 
At March 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I don’t think anyone could get a job at target right now. I couldn’t even get a babysitting job. Lame economy. Oh, and the keeper job I applied for in DC (the application took me a good 2 hours at least)- I got an email that the listing was cancelled, and being re-advertised, and to re-apply. So mad about that. Why can’t you just send my info to the new listing? Grr.

Also, firefox is being dumb and typing backwards again, so I had to type this in word, and copy-paste. Stupid computers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home