Random thoughts

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Last political post... for today, at least

Still sifting through my email news alerts, and it's still all about Palin. Like, for instance, whether or not a mother of five (including an infant with Down syndrome) can possibly juggle the responsibilities of VP and parenting. It's an interesting question, because the knee-jerk feminist response is why should a woman be prevented from holding a job - any job - because she's supposed to stay home and take care of her family? But the more I think about it, there are very few Presidents (or VPs) in recent history that have had small children, particularly as many as Palin, or one with a disability. I don't want to say that she shouldn't be VP because of her parenting responsibilities (because hey, maybe her husband's willing to do all the parenting, or she can be super-mom and balance it all), but I certainly don't blame people for judging her and finding her priorities to be skewed (we are talking about a woman who went back to work three days after giving birth to a Down syndrome baby).

Also causing a stir is the announcement yesterday that Palin's 17-year-old, unmarried daughter is pregnant. I would think this would be a black mark on her conservative credentials, if her own daughter doesn't adhere to her beliefs. I do get Obama's "families are off-limits" line, and I mostly agree. But when a politician's family life contradicts their policy positions, you have to raise your eyebrows. But mostly, I just feel bad for the kid that now her teenaged screw-up is all over national television.

Interestingly, the McCain campaign insists that nothing that's been revealed over the past few days is a surprise to them, and Palin was fully vetted beforehand. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Quite frankly, I don't get it... it's a pregnancy. Happens all over the world every day. And sadly, it happens to a lot of teenage girls who aren't really ready for the responsibility.

But it does happen, and if we start focusing on one teen pregnancy, we should start focusing on all of them with just as much intensity. But we should just leave these people alone...

However, I still just think that McCain's just trying to shoehorn a woman in there to pick up the disgruntled Hillary voters. There were other qualified women out there - I think this was just such a knee-jerk reaction that's probably going to dunk him in the long run.

I'm still an Obama Kool-Aid drinker... well, the thing I like is that he seems to be respected around the world, and we need a boost in worldwide respectability...

How are you?

 
At September 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and yeah - did you download the soundtrack to "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" off iTunes yet?! Awesome writ LARGE, man!!

 
At September 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

But it does happen, and if we start focusing on one teen pregnancy, we should start focusing on all of them with just as much intensity.

Yeah... I think that's the point. At least one of the articles I linked to mentioned that the important lesson to learn here is that Palin's abstinence-only policy doesn't work. Teenage girls have sex - even her own daughter - and we should be focusing on teaching safe sex and providing contraception options, so that kids can at least be responsible and know the consequences.

And no, I haven't downloaded Dr. Horrible yet... been kind of busy. Also, I've been listening to an illegally downloaded version for weeks now, so I'm not really in a hurry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home