Random thoughts

Friday, October 17, 2008

Okay...

That was a little bit mean, since I know Kelly doesn't care about politics. So here's some TV talk, too.

Let's see, the last time I checked in, I was almost caught up with all the shows I'd missed. Since then, I managed to watch all the recent episodes of Chuck, which I'm still a big fan of. I'm still bummed that it's on at the same time as HIMYM, because those two shows have become the only bright spot on a previously packed Monday night.

This is partly because I've given up on Heroes. Not even the digging up of Adam Monroe can save it for me. I watched it last Monday, and about halfway through, I realized I didn't have a clue what was going on (mostly because I'd zoned out a few times, but also because the show makes no logical sense). And more importantly, I didn't care. So, yeah. I'm done. I'm slightly bitter that I even bothered to get invested at all, going against my instincts that it wasn't as awesome as the hype, only to have the show spiral into such nonsensical drivel that even people who were completely obsessed with the first season are now calling it crap.

My other Monday night hopeful was the Jekyll and Hyde spy show, My Own Worst Enemy, starring my beloved Christian Slater (I met him!! In London!! There are pictures!!). Maybe watching Heroes right before it meant that I was already in a troubling state of ennui, but my reaction was pretty meh. It was decent, but not outstanding, with several logic holes that could've been glossed over had the show been more interesting.

Elsewhere on TV, I watched the first episode of Life on Mars. I was really afraid of this one, because those imported Brit remakes rarely go well, but this one was pretty good. I guess it helps that I've never seen the original (which I do plan to rectify eventually). I missed the second ep last night, because Danielle called me so I was on the phone for the first half of it, but I liked it enough to catch up online.

Also, somewhat confusingly, I'm enjoying Life (confusing because of the titles, not because... never mind). I'm noticing the trend seems to be heading towards "procedurals with a twist." It's not enough anymore to be a dry, impersonal CSI or Law and Order, but people seem to be leery of serial shows after the post-Lost spate of serials crashed and burned a couple years ago. So now it's all "cop show... except one cop is from 2008, transported to the 1970s" or "spy show... except the spy has a split personality." Even older shows like Bones and House seem to fit into this pattern. And with Life, it's "cop show... except one cop just got out of jail after being wrongfully imprisoned for 12 years." I watched the whole first season on DVD, and then what's aired so far of the second season online, and it's great. I thought it would be an "I can wait till it comes out on DVD" show, but I'm totally into it. It's on Friday nights, which is a bummer, but that's what the internet is for, right?

And finally, I'm still watching Fringe, but I pretty much agree with this article on how it could be much better.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 18, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude... Jenn and I have totally given up on "Heroes". We don't even DVR it or download it anymore. The first season was so compelling - what happened?!

And I'll email you some contact information about the thing with the thing I talked with you about. Just waiting for an email address you can use...

eds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home